THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.92mm Patrone 318 - did you see this ? !!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
I am too young to remember all extreme designs, but it is what I don't belive to it until see it . . . this one is one the right . . . It could be great benchrest cartridge, is it true ?

[This message has been edited by Jiri (edited 12-15-2001).]

Posts: 2080 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice picture, Jiri. Glad to have the Czech Republic joining us on this bulletin board.

Would you mind telling me the names of all those cartridges in the picture? I'd like to understand what I'm seeing. Thanks very much.

BigIron

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
From left to right:
1- 14.5x114 - Russian
2- 12.7x107 - Russian
3- .55 Boys - British
4- I don't know
5- PzB 35 - German
6- Patrone 318 - German - 7.92mm 225-230gr bullet at speed cca 3770 to 3930fps - could pearce 25mm armor (1") at 300m distance - over 7100 fpe muzzle energy

PzB 35 - used 160gr of powder (Patrone 318 used 230gr of powder) - 225gr bullet at 4180fps from 47" barrel (Patrone 318 - 3967fps from 43" barrel), barrel life about 300 shots . . . incredibly performance, what it can do with current powders I can't imagine . . .

I belive TC Encore or another single shot could be made for PzB35 (7,92x107 - slim and long) just for fun . . .

[This message has been edited by Jiri (edited 12-15-2001).]

Posts: 2080 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong the original use was for armour piercing. There was a lot of info on a website the adress of which I have forgotten and would welcome.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
1894: You are true, it was designed as armor piercer . . . But it could be "ultimate" long range caliber, is't it true ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What actions could this be built on?? Ruger Number 1 by any chance???

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I belive 7.92x107 is enought slim to fit Encore well, maybe some single shot bolt action could be fine . . . loaded with modern powders barrel life could be much better and accuracy too . . .

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Jiri, are the same Jiri that designed the Hyper lobby for online air combat?
WARNING TO ALL DO NOT START FLYING ONLINE AIR COMBAT. IT IS WORSE THAN DRUGS!
http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I am not. "Jiri" is here common name it means translated to English "George"

I like to pilot "Federal Yamato class battle ship" or "Eagle Long Range Fighter" than IL-2

Jiri

<txhunter>
posted
From the picture it looks to be based on the 12.7x107 Russian which I believe is the Russian version of the 50BMG. That would have to be one hell of an action to hold that thing.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
txhunter: Patrone 318 is too fat,looks like based on "russian BMG" but 7.92x107 (2nd from right) is slim and more powerfull and efective than "318" . . . now, I measured it on picture and compared to 12.7x107 and 14.5x114 (which I have in collection) and it looks fat like .338 lapua mag, so I belive Encore could be chambered to it

[This message has been edited by Jiri (edited 12-22-2001).]

<txhunter>
posted
Sorry about that. Thought you were referring to the Patrone 318 to be used in an encore. But yes the 7.92x 107 in an encore would be very interesting. But I'm afraid barrel life would be to short to be of much fun.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Barrel life was about 300 shots with 160gr of powder. 30-378 use ~ 120gr or so, so 160 is not too much higher , maybe rechamber to .338 could be better, I belive it can outperform .338/50 Talbot in velocity and barrel life by far . . . it looks like very efective design . . .

quote:
Originally posted by txhunter:
Sorry about that. Thought you were referring to the Patrone 318 to be used in an encore. But yes the 7.92x 107 in an encore would be very interesting. But I'm afraid barrel life would be to short to be of much fun.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Where can I buy some of these rounds for my collection?

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw: I have no reason . . . sorry, but who can make new brass for it ?, it is question . . .

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I think number 4 in the line up is the German 13 mm anti tank round of WWI. Jiri can you post a pic of the bases so we can see the head stamps

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-25-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
This foto is not from my collection so I can't do it. I have only two cartridges from left . . .

14.5x114 is APIT, sealed bullet and primer with some red stuff, on head stamp on the left and right are stars, up is no. 3 and down no. 72 (year)

Have also WWII unfired case for this cartridge and there is up no. 3, down no. 43 (year) and right star, left nothing

12.7x107 - API bullet, black stuff sealed primer, double crimped bullet, on head stamp - up no. 54, down "CZO" . . .

I have also here 8mm Lebel, a lot of miscelanous WWII and pre WWII 8mm Mausers, German WWII 7.65 and 9mm Lugers, 7.62TT from 1944 etc . . . but it is very common ammo . . .

Most of it my friends gived me, but for example 12.7x107 I bought for abou .80U$D or so . . .

Jiri

<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Guys
This is from April 2001 edition of Australian Shooter

The Germans produced an anti tank weapon known as a Panzerbuchsen and abbreviated to PzB.
Designated the PzB 38 and PzB 39, both these A/T rifles were similar in performance.The PzB38 with it's cleverly engineered but complicated breech mechanism, proved to be prone to jamming when fouled by dirt, making it less suited to the stresses of modern warfare than it's simpler more robust successor, the PzB39.
Both weapons were manufactured in Suhl by Gustloff-Werke and were on issue to the German Army in time for their invasion of Poland on September 1 1939.
The PzB39 was a single-shot, manually loaded weapon that employed an improved vertical breecgblock mechanism chambered for the M1918's cartridge case necked down for a 7.92mm bullet with a tungsten carbide core.The new round was known as the Patrone 318 ('patrone'-cartridge).
The 7.92mm Spitzer (sharp nosed) bullet travelled at 1210m/s and was able to penetrate 30mm steel plate at 100 metres.

Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au
http://deafdog.turboweb.net.au