Find
Notify
Tools

416 Ruger recipes for lighter bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted
I recently re-acquired a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 416 Ruger. While I plan out my a bucket list Alaskan Brown bear hunt or African Buffalo hunt, I want to try lighter bullets (350gr...maybe less) and take it on a snowy day deer hunt. Hornady only shows load data for 400gr bullets...and the factory 400gr. ammo has great accuracy. Hodgdon doesn't show any 416Ruger data. Is it true I can start out on the low end of 416Remington load data and work my way up for 416Ruger ???
Thanks for any expertise your willing to share!

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trip,
The Speer manual has data for their .350 grainer and Realguns.com has data. If you can't find it I will copy what I have and can snail mail it to you (I suck on the computer) if you PM me your address.

Hip

Posts: 1866 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh manual has 416 Ruger load data. They make a 340gr bullet.

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!
This is exactly what I needed...much appreciated!

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 350 grain Speers in mine. Accurate and good pig medicine! Push em with Varget, near the maximum from the Speer table. I have shot several of Texas whitetails with them. I think less meat damage than with a 7mm Rem! If you scope it, use Warne rings, blue locktite and tighten down tight! My scope moved in Ruger rings! Have fun with it!

Posts: 725 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice!
I picked up a set of Ruger 30mm rings but I think I will start looking for a set of Warne.
I also picked up a box of Speer 350gr...I will give Varget a try! Thanks Again!