New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Report -- Analysis?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took the .25-06 back to the range today for some more testing of OAL. I shot two groups of 5 before it was clear that the conditions were simply two windy to get any solid accuracy results. I did get some numbers from the chronograph, however. Load was 50.0 grains IMR 4831, Nosler 110gr Accubond seated to 0.025 off lands, then 0.010 off lands, new Winchester brass, Federal 210 primers.

Group 1 - Average MV: 2998.6, standard deviation: 18.1, max velocity: 3023.0, min velocity: 2976.0, extreme spread: 47.0

Group 2 - Average MV: 3011.0, standard deviation: 24.1, max velocity: 3030.0, min velocity: 2976.0, extreme spread: 54.0

Some of these results I expected. Velocity went up slightly as the bullet was seated closer to the lands -- pressure increased slightly. Velocity was about where I expected, as I'm at least a couple of grains below book max for this load.

What I didn't expect was such a large deviation in muzzle velocity. Extreme spreads of 47 and 54??? I mean, I know that I'm new to reloading, but I'm measuring powder with a digital scale and trickler. All bullets are seated with a competition seater and then verified to ogive with calipers. Are these normal values -- I get numbers like this with my muzzleloader! I'd love to hear feedback on these results.

Posts: 25 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, there is only one test of ammo ultimately and that is accuracy. There are many things that will alter velocity and change SD. These can include neck pressure, difference in case length, crimping, primer pocket condition, and state of the rifle's bore.

I'd strive for doing it the same way every time except for your test variable. Otherwise, you don't know what caused the change.

Because I don't know your method, I can't diagnose your "madness." I know it isn't helpful, but it is about all I can offer.

Isn't this wind a bitch! I'd love to log some range time, but its been terrifically windy and I am working with 223 and 22LR right now. (Well, also with some 9.3x74. I quit the 458 until I can get it "heavied" up some and get a new recoil pad installed. Good shooting to you in Jax. Kudude in Tallahassee

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Hokie Hunter,

Consider trying a different primer to settle those deviation numbers down a bit. That or a small adjustment to the powder charge can often work wonders.

The 110 works wonders on deer... .257 Ackley shooter here. Wink

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Personally I don`t feel 40-50 fps extreem spread is bad for hunting ammo. Now if you are stating std deviation, a change is needed some where. I would start with primers 1st and see if that hepls. Remember to only change one thing at a time when tuning your loads, or you`ll never know what made a improvment or wasn`t a help.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I normally load for accuracy first then check velocity. How was the groups did seating depth change them much? I'm with Kudude.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All cases were new but full-length resized and trimmed to consistent length. Flash holes were deburred, and primer pockets were uniformed. I did not sort cases or bullets.

I can't say for certain whether seating depth change had a meaningful impact on accuracy, as I really felt like the wind was a factor.

Posts: 25 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote