Find
Notify
Tools

reduced loads
 Login/Join

<ty>
posted
I am trying saeeds reduced loads for the 223
can these be reduced even more?to be more quiet or is 4 grains of hp-38 the minimum?
The reason I ask is because my squirrel spot has houses within 100 yds on each side.I'm shooting a 223 encore Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ty:
I am trying saeeds reduced loads for the 223
can these be reduced even more?to be more quiet or is 4 grains of hp-38 the minimum?
The reason I ask is because my squirrel spot has houses within 100 yds on each side.I'm shooting a 223 encore Thanks

I'd be careful of going lower...between getting the bullet stuck in the barrel and some loading don't like the excess space in the case and if the powder is laying wrong can cause improper ignition and large increase in pressure which is dangerous!!!!!!!I haven't been following the thread but have you tried the promethius? brand 22 pellets and primers/small amounts of fast powder...1-2grains? I READ about using that combo with sucess! I have used lead pellets/air rifle type and primers for in shop plinking...the P work brand pellet is supposed to be reinforced tough and will take some powder without shedding the skirt....AGAIN this is from a gun rag article...I HAVEN'T done it but have noticed ads for the P word pellets....might be worth a try....good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Don't go lower with jacketed bullets. With SOFT lead bullets, you can play, since pushing the bullet out is no biggie. HOWEVER, check the bore after each shot....... FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<ty>
posted
I do shoot a pellet and primer but it's not enough to kill ground squirrels.These reduced loads are about as loud as a 22 mag so thats about as good as I'm going to get.4.9 grains of hp-38 at 25 yards 3 shots touch.at 100 into the dirt most of my remington 45 gr soft points just mushroom.
Thanks again