THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag youth or managed recoil loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
Hogdon shows youth loads using H4895 at 60% of max. There are probably other variations. Also, Remington and perhaps others make the so-called managed recoil loads.

I'm wondering how practical this is. I'm wondering about accuracy, etc. I remember a long time ago I tried using some starting loads in one of the magnum cases, maybe a grain or two under beginning losds per the manual, and I got some nasty hang-fires. never did that again. But I would like to use my 300 mag and don't often need full power loads. Something equivilent to 308 winchester would be fine.

But I sure don't want any more hang fires. And if accuracy suffers, I already know I'm going to be dissappointed and will give up. I just want to save myself some time by asking others who have experience with this. Is it worth the trouble?

Same question applies to the 338 WM loaded down to 338 Federal balistics, and the 7mm RM loaded to 7x57 or 7mm08 ballistics.

Thanks,
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Check out some cast bullet manuals...

I know in my A Bolt in 300 Win Mag, I have loaded up 22 grains of Unique and a 150 grain SP bullet, to duplicate 30/30 loads with MV of 2000 fps with that rifle....

it was accurate and also quite capable as a huunting load within say 100 to 150 yds..

you can use SR 4759 also.. adequate charges range from 25 grains of it, to 40 grains of it..

with bullet weights from 110 to 220 grain..

in there you will find both accuracy and recoil reduction I think you will like...

I have Blue Dot loads also for it, but I don't want to piss off Hot Core by posting them...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please try the reduced load. Thiry plus years ago I started reloading for a new 300 win mag, with the dipper in a Lee loader and IMR4895, using 150 grain bullets. It is about 06 velocity. After more than 30 years of screwing around this is still my most accurate load, and most accurate sporter rifle.

I should have stopped right then and there and saved the money and time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A published start load of 58 grains I4320 under a 150 are dynomite accurate in my tikka at 2750.
I've actually worked up to 60 and found even better accuracy. I have my ballistic plex scope set just a tad high at 100 and the hashmark for 200 and 300 yds are dead on. I can break clay birds at the 300 yd berm using the hashmarks quite easy.
I would think start loads of 4064 could do the same but if you have some 4320 laying around I'd work between 58 & 60 grains and I think you'll find the sweet spot.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arniet:
Please try the reduced load. Thiry plus years ago I started reloading for a new 300 win mag, with the dipper in a Lee loader and IMR4895, using 150 grain bullets. It is about 06 velocity. After more than 30 years of screwing around this is still my most accurate load, and most accurate sporter rifle.

I should have stopped right then and there and saved the money and time.

That's encouraging info. I suspect IMR4895 and H4895 are close. With Hodgdon showing loads using H4895, reduced to as low as %60 of max, and anything in between, I should be able to find something suitable.

I had little doubt about finding a safe reduced load using Hodgdons data, but my doubt was about accuracy, since my best luck has been with powder bulky enough to result in slightly compressed loads, near max. It's good to know the case doesn't have to be full to shoot accurately.

Apparantly the hang fire is a non-issue as long as I use 4895.

KB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
A published start load of 58 grains I4320 under a 150 are dynomite accurate in my tikka at 2750.
I've actually worked up to 60 and found even better accuracy. I have my ballistic plex scope set just a tad high at 100 and the hashmark for 200 and 300 yds are dead on. I can break clay birds at the 300 yd berm using the hashmarks quite easy.
I would think start loads of 4064 could do the same but if you have some 4320 laying around I'd work between 58 & 60 grains and I think you'll find the sweet spot.

Now I remember what I did to cause the hang fires. As I remember it, I wanted to shoot some 200gr bullets in my 338 WM, and slow them down a bit. I found some data in a well known manual using 3031 powder, and I went below the starting load a few grains. I don't remember the temperature that day, and don't know if it makes a difference. But the first shot - the firing pin fell, click, and no boom. Less than a second later - boom. Definately not acceptable. I thiught maybe it was a bad primer or something, so I shot some more. Maybe after the fifth round or so, it happened again.

I didn't shoot anymore of those loads, and gave up on reduced loads after that.

I suspect if one tried hard enough, he could duplicate those hang-fire loads using 4320 or 4064, especially in the 300 mag. If not interested in that, just don't go below the published starting loads.

That's the reason in the future I'm going to limit my experiments to H4895, and maybe IMR 4895. Hodgdon says you can safely reduce the charge with that powder as much as %60. I would bet good money that if you try that with 4320, 4064, or 3031, and perhaps 4350, etc. you would be in for some nasty surprises.

KB

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
...I have Blue Dot loads also for it, but I don't want to piss off Hot Core by posting them...
For those of you interested in attempting to blow-up yourself and/or your kids - seafire is the guy to get loads from.

For those of you who are not interested in Ka-Booms - stick with the Loads shown in the Manuals.

Best of luck to you all.

What I posted WAS from a manual,
and since you are speaking of people blowing themselves up.. why don't you come forward and posts some names or handles of people you are aware of, that have hurt themselves?

all your posts do is make an ass out of yourself...and the only person blind to it is yourself... homer

always consult an expert: PM HOT CORE!

the expert is in and awaiting your PMs:

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kabluewy--I use QL alot in confirming already good published loads. 58 grains of I4320 gives you a 76% fill....it will not get you into trouble. I've shot this load lots and it burns clean and I've never ever had a hang fire shooting in temps as low as 20 degres.
Suite yourself but if the 4895 loads don't work don't be afraid to use published data on the 4320/4064 idea.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
I have Blue Dot loads also for it, but I don't want to piss off Hot Core by posting them...

shockerOh My! The 4759 indeed would be a good answer. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Kabluewy--I use QL alot in confirming already good published loads. 58 grains of I4320 gives you a 76% fill....it will not get you into trouble. I've shot this load lots and it burns clean and I've never ever had a hang fire shooting in temps as low as 20 degres.
Suite yourself but if the 4895 loads don't work don't be afraid to use published data on the 4320/4064 idea.

That's good to know. Thanks. I have a good quanity of both powder.

KB