New
Find
Notify
Tools

load data for 6.5x284
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have the hornady manual, i've downloaded the pages on this caliber from this site. i think that the new barnes manual #3 has load data for this round.

i want to use 120-130 gr bullets, in a 26" barrell (tc encore). i want to push bullets at least to 3200 fps (if i can't get this out of this cartridge, tell me now, and i'll get a different barrell).

in looking at the load data from the two sources i've found, i've seen discrepancies - the load data from the manual lists max loads below the starting loads seen on this page - like 5 gr of powder below.
so, at this point, i'm looking for other load data, so i can make comparisons, know where to start working up to, etc. if you'd be willing to share you load data, i'd appreciate it - and if you don't want to post it online, let me know and i'll supply my email so you can send it directly to me.

thanks a bunch!

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my email is alterna@flash.net

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 6.5x.284 has just a bit less case capacity than a 6.5/06, but you can probably use starting loads for that cartridge as a reference.

3200 fps is possible, but will be stretching it, with this cartridge using a 120 grain bullet. A 129 or 130 grain bullet just won't make it at all without undesirable pressures. I say this from my experience with a .264 Winchester, which tops out about 3300 fps with a 120.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote