THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    .22 Johnson Spitfire: Anyone reload this cartridge?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 Johnson Spitfire: Anyone reload this cartridge?
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
More to the point: what velocities are obtainable with a 40 grain pill [say a Nosler bal tip for example] in an M1 carbine Johnson Spitfire? And does anyone do accuracy rebarreling on the M1 carbine?

Thanks,

Jordan

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Gun Digest from the very early 1960's claims up to about 3,200 fps...and groups around 1" were claimed by Mel Johnson, the originator and purveyor of the cartridge (and carbines rebarreled for it). I have no personal knowledge if either were possible.

Does sound interesting now, though in those days I was more interested in things like .219 Imp Zipper on High Walls, so never owned a .22 Spitfire.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Thanks Albert!

Jordan

<oldgringo>
posted
I believe SARCO is offering a barrel and ammo for this conversion. The last page of their ad in SGN. OG

one of us
posted Hide Post
You may find that a long, pointy bullet like the Ballistic Tip may cause the OAL of a 5.7 Johnson to be too long for the magazine. Try a conventional bullet instead, even a semi-spitzer to keep the length short.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote