THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    A Question On Seating Depth For You All. Please Help.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Question On Seating Depth For You All. Please Help.
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
I have run tests on seating depths, with normal bullets, and found no difference in accuracy.

I got a message from a member who absolutely believes Barnes X bullet do require a certain jump to shoot accurately.

I have found a bunch of Barnes X 150 grain bullets, in .308 caliber.

I also have a lot of other jacketed bullets.

Do you think it is worth shooting these with various seating depths?

If so, what variations should I use?

Is 0.020 good variation or should go with a smaller or larger variation.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I have solved 50 rifles give or take a dozen or so for monos. Most of them were Barnes. Calibers from 22 to 45 (50 caliber muzzle loaders.

Some, were flat out easy and had absolutely no seating depth issues. The muzzle loaders having neither cartridges nor throats not any capability whatsoever to have a "seating depth" uniformly shot accurately and did so independently for the most part of their velocity.

Common cartridge rifles could require not only a specific seating depth, but also a very small tolerance for variance of seating depth. One .223 Remington, a Savage 12 with a 26 inch barrel. would shoot 8 inch groups at any more or less than .005 inches from it's preferred depth and well under an inch when on the money.

Some rifles just didn't care about seating depth. I would guess that maybe between 4 and 10 fell into that category. Most rifles would shoot 2-3 inches when the hit the pressure level they like and then drop in under an inch when I found the right seating depth. Preferred seating depth varied from a hard jam into the lands to well over .100 off the lands.

Rifle make and model showed no group preference. One Remington 700 in 30-06 might like .010 off and the next might like .075. Of my 700s in .270 Variance in seating depth preference is as variable as preference for one powder or another.

I did not find a give powder in a given rifle changed the rifle's preference for seating depth for a given bullet. ie: my 25-06 shooting 100 grain TSXs needed the same seating depth regardless of powder and it retained that opinion with factory ammo loaded with the same bullet.

The rifles I tried both TSX and TTSX bullets of the same weight in had different preferences for seating depth and the accuracy they produced.

I used both seating depth and distance to lands in this recitation. In all cases I measured seating distance to the lands with a Stoney Point gauge. Getting a good CONSISTENT measurement is not easy and makes for more tedious load development, but I strongly believe that it is necessary. Once the distance the rifle likes the bullet to be off the lands is established and the press is locked down tight, a few boxes being loaded generally will not produce enough variance due to press and bullet variation to affect accuracy noticeably.

The bullets I loaded were Barnes Hornady and Nosler only. The Barnes were probably the easiest to do load development for with the Hornady and Noslers being about equally more PITA, but usable and like the Barnes showing a preference for distance to lands and some rifles preferring them and some the Barnes.

The Barnes copper varmint bullets are a cup and core variation with copper shot in a jacket and thus performed more like a jacketed lead bullet.

I had one rifle that flat out refused to give me under an inch at velocity near the to of that cartridge's potential, but woud produce accuracy at starting load level. I had one rifle that had a very nice looking bore and shot Hornady jacketed lead bullets quite nicely but 3 shots with a Barnes of the same weight was sufficient to foul it badly enough that it was shooting groups of several inches. That rifle after treatment with Dyna Bore Coat quit fouling badly and would shoot extended strings of Barnes with acceptable accuracy.[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles58:
Saeed,

I have solved 50 rifles give or take a dozen or so for monos. Most of them were Barnes. Calibers from 22 to 45 (50 caliber muzzle loaders.

Some, were flat out easy and had absolutely no seating depth issues. The muzzle loaders having neither cartridges nor throats not any capability whatsoever to have a "seating depth" uniformly shot accurately and did so independently for the most part of their velocity.

Common cartridge rifles could require not only a specific seating depth, but also a very small tolerance for variance of seating depth. One .223 Remington, a Savage 12 with a 26 inch barrel. would shoot 8 inch groups at any more or less than .005 inches from it's preferred depth and well under an inch when on the money.

Some rifles just didn't care about seating depth. I would guess that maybe between 4 and 10 fell into that category. Most rifles would shoot 2-3 inches when the hit the pressure level they like and then drop in under an inch when I found the right seating depth. Preferred seating depth varied from a hard jam into the lands to well over .100 off the lands.

Rifle make and model showed no group preference. One Remington 700 in 30-06 might like .010 off and the next might like .075. Of my 700s in .270 Variance in seating depth preference is as variable as preference for one powder or another.

I did not find a give powder in a given rifle changed the rifle's preference for seating depth for a given bullet. ie: my 25-06 shooting 100 grain TSXs needed the same seating depth regardless of powder and it retained that opinion with factory ammo loaded with the same bullet.

The rifles I tried both TSX and TTSX bullets of the same weight in had different preferences for seating depth and the accuracy they produced.

I used both seating depth and distance to lands in this recitation. In all cases I measured seating distance to the lands with a Stoney Point gauge. Getting a good CONSISTENT measurement is not easy and makes for more tedious load development, but I strongly believe that it is necessary. Once the distance the rifle likes the bullet to be off the lands is established and the press is locked down tight, a few boxes being loaded generally will not produce enough variance due to press and bullet variation to affect accuracy noticeably.

The bullets I loaded were Barnes Hornady and Nosler only. The Barnes were probably the easiest to do load development for with the Hornady and Noslers being about equally more PITA, but usable and like the Barnes showing a preference for distance to lands and some rifles preferring them and some the Barnes.

The Barnes copper varmint bullets are a cup and core variation with copper shot in a jacket and thus performed more like a jacketed lead bullet.

I had one rifle that flat out refused to give me under an inch at velocity near the to of that cartridge's potential, but woud produce accuracy at starting load level. I had one rifle that had a very nice looking bore and shot Hornady jacketed lead bullets quite nicely but 3 shots with a Barnes of the same weight was sufficient to foul it badly enough that it was shooting groups of several inches. That rifle after treatment with Dyna Bore Coat quit fouling badly and would shoot extended strings of Barnes with acceptable accuracy.[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Oops Edited to add recommendations on changes

I will usually start at Barnes 4 manual seating depth or .050 off. If that does not produce sub inch accuracy theI move up to .101 0ff and if I see notable improvement I will normall move up to bump the lands. If that does not work then starting at .020 off I just methodically move back in .010 increments. Not a lot of fun, but over the long haul it saves on bullets that are somtimes hard to come by.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a good a time as any to throw my two cents in.
In general I do see a difference in OAL with most bullets in most calibers but at the end of the day
I am not able to choose what seating depth I want in most of my rifles I usually run out of magazine length before I can fine tune the load so at the end off the day the magazine will dictate my OAL for seating.
There you go problem solved..
BB

Posts: 403 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I would second miles's recommendations to go in increments of .010 out to at least .050 per Barnes's recommendations (and in limited Barnes loading, I have seen them "like" at least .050 jump).

I would also test jammed into the lands, though. I have never tried to jam the monometals, but it has worked for me with cup and core bullets.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that powder choice might have as much to do with accuracy as seating depth but I have found that TSX and TTSX are seating depth sensitive for best accuracy, regardless of the powder I’ve used. My .300 WM is most accurate with 180 Gr TTSX seated .045” from lands, older X bullets shoot better .050-.060” from lands. My bigger rifles I just seat at .050 and call it good (TSX, TTSX and old X bullets). Hornady and Swift don’t seem to be too depth sensitive, and not as accurate (but that might be because I haven’t spent s lot of time working with them).
When working with the .300 WM I used .010” increments, starting at maximum magazine length. Pretty short process for this rifle with these bullets and RL-22.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have found some rifles that shoot TSX best as far as 0.070 off the lands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I'm surprized how often I end up at .050" off with the Barnes mono bullets. There is a good reason they recommend that.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
As a rule, I load all my ammo to the maximum OAL for that cartridge.

If the bullets are short, I load a minimum of one caliber in the case neck.

I have never even tried different seating depths, except for my test.

And in that I found very little difference.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of the TSX or TTSX bullets in various calibers. Several years ago I talked with a technician at Barnes and he recommended to start at .050" off the lands and if that didn't work go to .030" off the lands. That has worked well with the non-Weatherby cartridges. The Weatherby's don't seem to care...they either like the bullet or not.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Barnes X bullets in several calibers.

As mentioned above, I load them to maximum over all length of the cartridge, and that is that.

Never had any problems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Mostly I can get MOA performance pretty quickly on anything I re-barrel with a custom barrel, particularly if it's a number 5 contour or thicker. The lead ballistician who produced Speer manual 13 said in an interview something to the effect that any 1.25 inch cylinder test barrel in a rigid test fixture they used shot MOA with almost every load.

But I've had a hard time getting skinny-barreled factory rifles to shoot well a number of times. Old military rifles, BAR's, a Remington 742, some older lever actions have all required some work. Also, a Ruger .375 RSM was incredibly finicky.

And I still haven't found anything that'll shoot under 3 inches in my 8x56MS 1908 Mannlicher Schoenauer, with its oddball .327 groove diameter and a full-stock. But I haven't quit.

But if you start with a modern, near-ideal rifle/launching platform, monkeying with seating depth may be guilding the lilly.

As I think about it, mostly seating depth has only tuned a load that finally shot well, even in those difficult guns. Mostly it was about the right powder and right velocity that brought it from 4 inches to 1 inch. And seating depth cut that down another 1/4".

Posts: 1730 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pressure runs highest with bullet nose closer (or into) the lands. I always work up loads with the longest COL, then when I find my max I seat farther from the lands in about .015" increments to find the best accuracy. I haven't found any particular depth that yields the best accuracy, it's totally rifle and component dependent.

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
As a rule, I load all my ammo to the maximum OAL for that cartridge.

If the bullets are short, I load a minimum of one caliber in the case neck.

I have never even tried different seating depths, except for my test.

And in that I found very little difference.

What accuracy do you accept as minimum? If I cannot get a rifle to shoot an inch or less at 100 yards I move on to finding out why.

I was very surprised when I first started working with the monos at how common 2-3 inch groups were when I worked up the charge weight until I moved the bullet to where the rifle wanted it. Some rifles, are entirely capable of shooting sub inch groups with a 3-4 grain variation in powder charge. Others I have solved can be very picky about charges weight and when they are solved to the right seating depth produce very nice accuracy. Out of 6-8 243s all of them fell within 37.5 - 38.5 grains of Varget but seating depth varied from touching the lands to .080 if I remember right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am the fan of the jump start; I want my bullets to hit the lands a running. I do want to know how much free bore the rifle has.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed , I shoot and load for many 308 Win. Rifles. My hunting bullets are all 168 grain Barnes TSX. All the rifles will shoot the best with different seating depths. Two Remingtons will shoot the same OAL bullets very sub MOA while others all wanted a different OAL. Usually there was not too much difference in the OAL of cartridge, BUT I had one rifle that wanted another twenty thousandths deeper seating before coming around to a .25 inch tack driver. In my quest for accuracy over the years, sometimes powder charges were varied but it was always seating depth that solved the issue and almost always a deeper seating. I do not own a tool to measure the chamber length so it was always starting at just below max OA cartridge length and adjusting from there. When I was working on the problem with the mentioned .25 incher I set it in over 20 thousandths deeper and was surprised it would need that much. I found information on a shooting forum where a guy who solved a lot of Barnes loading issues for people and he was solid on the bullets usually needing more set back for better accuracy. It worked for me.. good luck !

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Saeed, for years I only used mono metals (Barnes TSX and TTSX) and found the best way to load them was to get to a desired velocity with powder and then play with seating depth to tighten up groups. A couple-three weeks ago I stumbled upon a YouTube video of Eric Cortina who says it better:

Accurate loads are all about good combustion (powder charge), harmonics (seating depth) and BC (bullet length, etc). Anyway glad to know I was doing something right.

Last week I worked up a load for one of my 270 Win. The center two are foulers for a different rifle.

Bottom right- .030 off lands
Bottom left- .050 off lands
Top left- .070 off lands (rifle shoots better some of that was my heart beating on a 30x Swaro Z6)

The clincher is that not only have the groups closed up in size, but also & more important the vertical spread nullified. A similar phenomenon happened with the powder charge (H4350) from 56.0 gr - 56.5 gr - 57.0 gr. I settled in on 56.5 as the group was dead level horizontal with no vertical component. The 57.0 gr group was just as small but had a slight vertical component.

So yes, in mono metals seating depth is key to tweaking group size.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
talking to a number of shooters here who use Barnes bullets, it would seem this is, as usual, is rifle specific.

Some rifles seem to shoot well with them regardless.

Some absolutely refuse to shoot better than 2 inches.

Some require specific seating depth, others don't.

Years ago I built a 416 Rigby Improved.

Before I have hunted with a 416 Weatherby Magnum, loaded with 105 grains of powder.

So I thought I would try the same load.

I fired 3 Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.

They made one ragged hole.

I took the same cases, resized them and loaded them with Barnes Super Solids brass bullets.

Fired them at the same target.

All 6 went into around 0.7".

That was the only load development I did for that rifle.

Shot several elephants, several lions and many buffalo with that combination.

Years later, I built one for as friend.

Same reamer.

We could not get it to shoot solids and non solids together into groups of less than 1.5".

Perfectly fine for hunting, but goes to show what might happen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Before I have hunted with a 416 Weatherby Magnum, loaded with 105 grains of powder.

So I thought I would try the same load.

I fired 3 Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.

They made one ragged hole.

I took the same cases, resized them and loaded them with Barnes Super Solids brass bullets.

Fired them at the same target.

All 6 went into around 0.7".

That was the only load development I did for that rifle.

Some times it is that simple.

Other times not so much.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very true.

When some of my friends ask if they could come to adjust their double rifles, I leave an afternoon free.

I get some refreshments and just watch and laugh!

From playing with screws to get the barrels pointing in the same direction to trying new loads.

Truly an exercise in futility! clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good way to waste a lot of bullets IMO..I suppose if one is a benchrester it might make a difference?

All my hunting rifles shoot an inch or better and I just seat bullet a tad off the lands..I shot the 160 gr. and 175 gr monolithics and Noslers in my Brno mod 21s and the 130 Speer FB or BTail, and they shoot to the same POI in the 7x57, same in the Renner special. and the same in the 8mm-06 Ackley and when it was an 8x60 and a 8mm-6 since Ive owned it..

seating deapth is something I have ignored for more than a few years, but to each his own, whatever works for you suits me..

Additionally in many cases seating depth is determined by the magazine and you have to live with that or modify it..custom rifles not applicable...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Saeed,

I had one rifle that flat out refused to give me under an inch at velocity near the to of that cartridge's potential, but would produce accuracy at starting load level. I had one rifle that had a very nice looking bore and shot Hornady jacketed lead bullets quite nicely but 3 shots with a Barnes of the same weight was sufficient to foul it badly enough that it was shooting groups of several inches. That rifle after treatment with Dyna Bore Coat quit fouling badly and would shoot extended strings of Barnes with acceptable accuracy.

Oops Edited to add recommendations on changes

I will usually start at Barnes 4 manual seating depth or .050 off. If that does not produce sub inch accuracy theI move up to .010 0ff and if I see notable improvement I will normally move up to bump the lands. If that does not work then starting at .020 off I just methodically move back in .010 increments. Not a lot of fun, but over the long haul it saves on bullets that are somtimes hard to come by.