New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: scope level??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Canting doesn't make a huge difference at 100 yards, but can be a big factor out at 600 - 1000 yards. A lot of the long distance scope shooters use levels. My BPCR rifle had a spirit level built into the base of the front sight. That helped a lot when shooting at longer distances.

The problem with the scope levels that fit on top of the scope is that you are constantly and subconsciously changing you plane of focus from basically infinity (looking through the scope) to very near (glancing at the level). There is a new electronic level that fits around the ocular end of the scope. It gives visual cues that you pick up in your peripheral vision so you don't change your plane of focus. The military has used the same sort of thing for many years in various applications (eg the indicator lights on the belly of a tanker to use during in flight refueling operations).

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
i have one on each of my long range rig. i started using them last year. i can see some diffrence at 100yds but at 300 and 500 it makes a lot of diffrence in the size and location of the groups.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I was wondering if anyone here uses a scope level on their scope to make sure the gun is sitting level when you are shooting from a bench. I was looking specifically at the one that mounts to the outside of the scope tube and flips up. suppositly you should be able to see this without taking your head off the stock. Does anyone use these or are they just a waste of money.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of your stool shooters have some sort of level built into their front rest. With practice, the level becomes somewhat like a wind flag, you don't really "look" at them but you know they're there and what they're doing. I think you ought to get one. You know you won't be happy until you try one.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I have also seen one that fits onto a weaver base and sticks out to the side of the gun. Has anyone used these? seems like these would be helpful if you shoot at different range locations as there is no guarantee that your bench or target is perfectly level.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote