New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloader series powders??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
are they tempeture insensitive like the Hogdon Extremes?

Never seen anything posted about it, just curious.

thanks

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read that RL 15 is less temp sensitive than some other powders and thus similar to Hodgdon extremes. This is the only RL powder that is less temperature sensitive. I have seen no independent testing that any powder is less temperature senesitive than another.

I also read from the same source, John Barnsness (MuleDeer), that an additive is in RL 15 that reduces copper fouling. The only other powders that are supposed to have this copper fouling reducing additive are Ramshot powders.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buried somewhere in a mess of papers, I have a test Hodgdon did on thie powders at various external temps. They named the powders. RL series was one of them. While there were some extreme spreads in velocity due to temperature change, the RL series had a very small spread, is one test, I believe of RL-22, the velocity spread wasn't much more than the Hodgdon Extreme it was tested against.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for most applications it isn't anything to worry about.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found the Reloader series of powders to be extremely insensitive to temperature variations. I don't know why, but in my experience, they give better velocity and pressure characteristics, and greater shot-to-shot consistency with good loads. I've noticed this particularly in comparison to single base powders.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
RogerK:

Would be interested in reading the results on RL22 if you should find them and don't mind posting. Thanks.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 918 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hm1996:
RogerK:

Would be interested in reading the results on RL22 if you should find them and don't mind posting. Thanks.

Regards,
hm

I'll try, but it will be like finding Saddam in his hole.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used any of the Reloader powders.
How does the density of R22 compare with IMR 7828 or H 4831?
How many grains of R22 fills a .270 case to the top?
Thanks,
Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been trying RL-19 in a 270WSM. The data for loads is very different from one tester to the next. It seems to be that there may be a big difference in burn rate between diferent lots of this powder. That would mean that you would have to rework a load every time you bought some from a different lot.

Posts: 14 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 14 February 2003Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Al-- I use the Reloader powders, and have for the past few years in all temperatures, I have noticed no noticable changes in performance. I use RL-22 and RL-19 in Colorado and Alaska, from 20 below to 95 degrees. I took RL-22 to Alberta and it's cold and noticed no change in performance there. I test at home from 0 to 95 degrees and notice no differences. I also use RL-15 for my .416 Rem and have tested it for months at all temperatures, noticing no changes. I have yet to hunt with it. From my use I can safely say use the Reloader powders like any other powders. When I buy powders, I never buy one pound at a time when developing a load, I buy at least 4 pounds of the same lot. I also find different barrels have more to do with the difference in performance than different lot numbers. An experienced reloader should always start lower than his maximum load when changing lot numbers of powder, just in case there is a diffenence, be it any powder manufacturer. [Wink] Good shooting.

[ 03-24-2003, 05:42: Message edited by: phurley ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on a lot of hunting all over the world, I have never had powder problems of anykind and I frankly believe this phenominum is a scapegoat for many other causes such as improper reloading habits etc....at least from a practical standpoint. I'd tend to worry a lot more about compaction.

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote