Notify
Tools

Re: Lee Factory Criming Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
LE270
Do you think that's from the more uniform ignition? I know that's what Lee states, and it actually seems to make sense. I don't know about you, but I do crimp everything, not to the extreme, but snug.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You betcha, I use it for my 300WSM BAR and my Mini-30, non of the bullets I use have a cannelure.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Why do you want to deform your bullets with a crimp die? If the bullet is deformed it can't help with accuracy. Am I missing something with this method. I don't crimp any rifle ammo and see no reason to.

If you have a reason I would like to hear it.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
For hunting ammo, I want a crimp to hold the bullet firmly in place. Recoil can have the same effect as an inertial bullet puller. Bullets can also be jammed too far into the case, which can cause extremely high pressures. These are my considerations for field use. Punching paper, loading one shell at a time, the crimp may not be of any use. Take a look at any factory ammo, crimped, for product liability for the most part, but I think crimping may give you more uniform ignition. Just my opinion though, I am not a expert.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bolt gun ammo I never crimp and recoil has not pulled bullets on me yes I have checked I do however use and recomend LEE factory crimp die for many other applications like lever action ammo, semi auto rifle&handgun ammo, bullets without cannelures, uniform ignition try bullet seating depth get the bullet 1/32nd or closer to the rifling. Code:

HAVE FAITH IN GOD

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only crimp revolver cartridges and for lever action rifles. Haven't had any problems crimping bullets w/o cannelures if I do a moderate crimping.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee Factory crimp for pistols is a completley different design and concept from factory crimp for rifles.

I would use the FC for AR15s and FALs in rifles.
I use the FC for pistols in every semi auto I can.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote