New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H Load help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am hoing some can help! I am working up some loads for new 375 H&H and I have run into a problem. I am using IMR 4350 in Rem case at 2.84", Swift A Frame 300 gr and Fed 215. I tried loading 76.5 grains setting bullet to cannelure. The bullet was compressing the powder. However the load recomendation for this bullet and powder charge inidcate 98% load density. The other problem was that RCBS rock chucker was pulling the bullet out of the case. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I have experienced the same problem with my 375 and IMR 4350. When loading use a drop tube to pour the powder into the case and tapping it gently will help. Also when seating the bullet, leaqve the ram down for a few seconds and always crimp the bullet. Hope this helps. By the way the 4350 gave excrellent velocity and accuracy.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a little different then your question, but I switched to Winchester 760 powder. I used the same components you are using except 76 grains of 760. Super accurate, low pressure, and no compaction issues.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compressing powder is not dangerous - I've been compressing slower burning powders for decades without problems. I also use slower burning powders for a 375 H&H Ackley Improved, which is usually not mentioned in most manuals. For example, my favorite load is 94 grs of MRP behind a 300 gr. Sierra BT, and I'm gettung 2935 fps with a 26.5" barrel - that's 378 Weatherby performance. AND, all this without pressure signs - cases reload and reload. I bet with the same approach you could get ~2750 fps (or more) with 300 gr bullet and a standard 375 H&H and a 24" barrel.

The problem with this approach - that is, using MRP like powders - is too much free bore. My gun has no free bore, which is the way I wanted it built. Your gun may have abundant free bore. With abundant free bore, you'll have to stay with faster burning W760 and the like, but don't be afraid to increase powder charge and compress it. As always, watch for pressure signs, but with the .375 bore it's hard to go over 65000 psi with W760.

The other is shooter fatique - that is, mega kick! If you bring your 375 H&H to maximum potential, it may become too unpleasant to shoot, especially at the range. To combat this, I let the gun kick into a lead shot filled sissy bag; I don't feel a thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys so far - However any suggestions for the issue of the bullet seater pulling the bullet out of the case?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What die manufacturer are you using. I like Redding. I don't have those problems. You can get an ultra seater from Redding.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the replys so far - However any suggestions for the issue of the bullet seater pulling the bullet out of the case?

I've had this problem as well. I switched to a different bullet seating die which solved the problem.

Part of the problem could be the case necks aren't tight enough but in addition, there must be something on the seating stem that snags the bullet.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like the seater issue is a ridge in the bullet "cone" grabbing/sticking to the bullet.
Try using a piece of paper clip wire with a short 90 degree bend to see if the seater cone isn't completely smooth. If it isn't try using emery cloth to polish it smooth.

Also I had MUCH better luck with Reloader 15. Better velocity and lower ES.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all again! The cone in the seater die is leaving a ring around the bullet. I actually had a bullet stick in the seater die. I will try to polish a little as suggested. FYI - I also have some loads using RL 15. 375 is new and I am loading diffent powders while the snow is flying. Will try them all when weather is better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
510wells

Thank you. Just polished the cone and worked fine. I also waited a bit before lowering ram. What bullet and RL15 load do you use?

Thanks again to all that responded

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Willis, I'm using RL15 with the 300gr. TSX and Banded Solids. I'm getting pretty consistent velocities and excellent groupings. Firing 10 ea. of the TSX and Solids, and not really trying, just shooting through the chrony, my load will put all 20 into the 2" orange circle in the center of the circle. Maybe an occasional stray on the outside edge, but I attribute that to me more than the rifle or load. I usually shoot 3, cool, shoot 3, cool, shoot 4. Needless to say, I'm happy with the powder and bullets.

I've also had very similar results using the 350gr. Woodleighs over H4350.

The 300 barnes loads averaged around 2640fps, which seems a little warm, but no pressure signs. The 350's averaged around 2350fps. Velocities were taken at 10 feet. All very consistent loads. I'm now using H4350 for everything from 22-250 up to .375 H&H, and I'm gonna try it this weekend with 350gr. bullets in my .416 Rigby.

David Walker

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote