New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hawk Precision Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In my quest for heavy 30 cal bullets I have found somebody that is actually making 250 gr .308 bullets. Website is here:

http://www.hawkbullets.com/maintest.htm

Anybody have any experience with these? I am looking for hunting bullets only. Anybody worked with these? Any experience with the 250 gr. .308 caliber bullets?

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
My only experience with Hawk bullets are in 7mm, 140 and maybe 160 grains, can't remember. They are very soft bullets, do not stand up 2900+ fps at all, and completely shed their jackets readily. I was impressed with their website and thought what the heck, I'll try them. Maybe at lower velocities they're fine and in the larger calibers, but I would not try them again for my purposes. Northfork, Swift, and TBBC in that order for me.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prewar70,

Problem is none of the bullets you listed make 250 gr bullets in a .308 cal. I have all my loads dialed in for up to 200 grs for my 30's, but I am looking for a replacemnt to the 250 Branes originals.

I am going to use these in my 30-338 and 2900 fps is whre I am with 200 gr loads sho I am going to drop down in fps. I suspect in the 2500-2600 range. Load development and a chrono will tell the real tale.

My reason for looking at these as these are the only 250 gr 30 cals I have found to date.

Thanks for your input, that is the kind of info I was looking for.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Utter crap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard, from a B.C. hunter of a rifle blowup due to inaccurate sizing of these; I would be extremely cautious in trying them. There is a lot of BS in this whole sport/industry and most of it is pretty obvious, but, a defective bullet used in some types of rifles,, including my much loved "old" Mod. 70s can be a tragedy, so, caution is mandatory, IMO.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've only shot them in my .404 & to be honest, I won't buy anymore. While they are reasonably accurate, they tend to seperate the cores from the jackets & not just on impact. I've had jackets come off when the bullet leaves the bbl. If you have no another choice, then roll the dice. BTW, they expand like crazy so should not be used for any DG animal IMO.

Bullet on the left is a NorthFork, then Woodleigh, then Hawk, all 400gr @ 2150fps in wetpack. The Hawk penetrated the least & recovered weight was also the least.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote