Find
Notify
Tools

Remington factory ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted
Just purchased a new gun , first in 36 yrs. it's a sako 75, in .300 ultra mag. purchased a box of rem. 300 rum. 180 gr. nosler patition, can't beleive the condition of the factory brass, nick's and dent's, on the casinng's, is this a friday run of ammo , or is this typical from remington???? Thank's: Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
the cases look good on my ammo so far, but the bullet tips have been beat up on some of mine.

i'm just shooting the factory stuff for cases (poor as they are) so i got something to reload.

the ONLY rem load I've been able to find around here has been the 180 nosler partition. they show 5 different loadings in the Rem catalog - has any one else seen anything else?

i'm wondering how the 150's would doo on groundhogs way out there....

Posts: 12 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Rick, The dents are from the final tumbling/polishing process, they'll blowout when you fire em'. 4H, why didn't you just buy some brass from Midway, as long as your going to reload anyway? For what you paid for the factory loads you could've bought a 100pcs. of brass. [Eek!] Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not too happy with their ammo. You are right when you said the rounds were beat up. I'll add to that, their boxes aren't very strong either.

About three years ago we had some problems with their steel shotshells also. If memory serves me correctly, their shotshell wads did not do well in subzero either. Bought some "Estate" shells, and finished the bird hunting season.

packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
This is NOT typical of any factory's ammo. I suspect it was damaged after it left the factory....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I buy Remington ammo for my youngest boy to shoot in his 243. I get him 100 grain Corelocks as the price is fair, and it shoots just fine.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Haven't had any copmlaiants with Remington Factory Centefire Ammo with the way it Shot or the Condition or Appearance of the Ammo, with what little I have Shot of it.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Remington ammo will never be used in any firearm of mine again. It caused me to loose one of the biggest deer I have ever seen when I pulled the trigger and the rifle went click instead of bang, a dead round! Never again!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I have noticed the same poor brass quality, especially with the Ultra-Mags.

But, as we all know, pretty is as pretty does.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
I see the remington brass looking pretty bad also. Even when buying it new unloaded. The necks look like they half assed the cut job, and very dingy especially around the neck. Unfortunately, thats about the only good source for brass for the 300RUM. Also, sorting out by wieght is a nightmare. Unlike the Norma brass for my 308Win.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't really know if Remington makes their own brass. Many companies outsource the task to joblotters. But I agree, not just Remington, most of the American companies are producing junk today. Compared to Lapua and Norma it's pitiful. As far as loaded ammo is concerned
Remington made good quality ammo. Maybe that too has changed. I haven't purchased any in several years. I do most of my shooting from the bench and always found Remington was among the best hunting ammo available, not necessarily the most accurate, but good in the field. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 300RUM brass deviated less than 2% in case weight across all 100 cases. I split them down the middle into 2 lots, and started loading. The dents, as stated, will blow out upon firing,..and if you are fireforming to reload,...you weren't expecting match accuracy on fireforming anyway.

My case neck thickness was within .0005" across the lot, and as I stated, the two lots are now seperated into less than 1% weight deviation. I would say that even with funny looking mouths and a few dings,..that is pretty good quality for $55/bag. I never expected them to be that consistent,..but I was wrong.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that the quality issue with Remington brass tends to follow specific calibers. Example...I purchased 500 .221 Rem. FB brass that was near perfect....all weighed very close and the lengths were right on. Purchased 200 .260 Rem. brass that is all over the place flash holes misaligned, necks crooked and split,no apparent QC on these bad boys. Bought 200 .300 WM brass that was better but a few folds in the necks.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote