Find
Notify
Tools

.270 WSM Reloads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted
Hi all, I've performed a few searches on here regarding what powder and loads, as well as looked on the Hodgdon website and can't decide on my own. I'm looking at using either H4350 or IMR4831 with a 140 gr TSX or 140 gr Berger VLD's. What really peeked my interest was that Hodgdon lists a load for H380 which use a few less gr of powder per load, I'd really like to use the H380, as this is my go to powder for my 22-250. Anyone on here ever use H380 for loading 140 gr TSX's or 140 gr Berger VLD's in a .270 WSM?

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
H4350, IMR4831 are good powders. I also use IMR4350 and Reloader 19 and Reloader 22. I use the R22 for the heavier bullets and have great results.

I am not sure about the H380. It is little to fast burning for my liking but to each his own.

I know of guy where I live that uses nothing but IMR 4895 for everything from 223 to his 300 WM. 4895 is not far off from H380.

Posts: 762 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks MNIE...I went for the H4350, but my gun shop was out of it, so I went with H4831. Decided on the 140 gr VLD's for bullets. Gonna work up some loads tonight and see how she shoots this weekend...Whitetail general rifle season opens up here in CDA on Monday....coincidentally that's when my holidays start clap

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with H4831SC out of my 270WSM.I shoot 140 gr seirra gameking HPBT's.
Deer season start's here in the bluegrass saturday morn'in.

Posts: 55 | Location: ky | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I use H4831SC and R19 with 140's

H380 at the lowest load for 130's and love the way the low loads shoot with 380 and 130's.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I found a load on the Hodgdon website that listed H4831 with a max load of 62.5 gr under 140 gr Berger VLD's in .270 cal. I worked up a load starting at 60.5 gr and worked up in 0.5 gr increments to a final load of 62 gr of H4831. Finished off a smaller buck for a hunting partner with a shot into the rear of the boiler room...shot was a through and through, he went another 25 yards uphill where I proceeded to place another pill into the left shoulder, he dropped dead on the spot and rolled downhill about 20 yards. Second deer I shot was on Saturday, a yearling doe, shot was about 345 yrds, shot into the rear of the boiler room again, direct hit on the liver, yet another through and through, she ran about 60 yards and dropped. Overall I'm pleased with the performance of the Berger VLD's, although the through and throughs aren't my fav, they still brung 'em down! I'm not a big fan of the double shoulder shots as it ruins what little meat there is in the front end of a whitetail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a 140 grain Barnes TSX and 68 grains of RL-25 with a Fed 210M primer for my mule deer load this year in Colorado. One shot, a bang flop kill at 285 yards and it went exactly where I held, with a group 3.5 inchs high at 100 yards. I reckon all the chrony work and shooting payed off. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I used a 140 grain Barnes TSX and 68 grains of RL-25 with a Fed 210M primer for my mule deer load this year in Colorado. One shot, a bang flop kill at 285 yards and it went exactly where I held, with a group 3.5 inchs high at 100 yards. I reckon all the chrony work and shooting payed off. Good shooting.

I was seriously considering the TSX's as well, but decided that double the price wasn't worth it, so I got 100 VLD's for roughly the same price of 50 TSX's....I'm not sure on the prices down in the States, but the Barnes bullets up here in CDA aren't easy on the pocket book. Congrats on the mulie.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to get 20 boxs of 130 grain Nosler Solid base bullets ( a discontunued bullet) for $4.70 per box and got enough to last a lifetime. I thought for Trophy Mule Deer hunt I needed a little more heft and perhaps the tougher bullet. The solid base shoots lights out in my rifle at 3400 fps. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote