New
Find
Notify
Tools

H-322 load for .223Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
PMC cases, Winchester Small Rifle primers, 55-grain FMJ bullets, 22.0 grains H-322 and a 24-inch barrel.

Average velocity is 2956, median is 2957. Standard deviation is 47.3 fps. That's 1.6% of 2956.5 fps. Is that a lot? I weighed each charge and trickled to get it to where it just clicked over to 22.0 grains. So I am in the "lower half" of 22.0 grains. I'm wondering how I could have the up-and-down velocities I got if an equal volume of gas is created with every ignition. Any theories, gentlemen?

Max load for this powder is 23.0 grains in several publications. Should I go higher-- to 22.5 grains? I never go to maximum loads. I want closer to 3,000 fps. Can I get it?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like this powder...

I am gathering you are loading it in an AR...

I use it in a bolt gun... my standard charge with 55 grains, 50 or even 40 grain bullets is 25 grains...

at 25 with the 55 graines, my MV is in excess of 3300 fps..

there are no evidence of high pressure, and I brass lots.. which have been fired 20 times plus with this powder and bullet combination...
primer pockets are still tight..

Lake City, Win and Rem brass used on these loads...

can't verify on an AR tho...YMMV

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:

I am gathering you are loading it in an AR...
Yes. All the info I've read about this load maxes the charge at 23.0 grains. There is still some space in the case at 23.0 grains for at least another grain. PMC brass is heavier than most other brass. I have no idea why. I am now tempted to push the envelope...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
Kinda brings that "livin on the edge" song to mind. rotflmo

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
How are the groups? Any pressure signs? I know not the best indicator. Sierra shows 24.3 for their 55 grain bullets in an AR-15. Ussually they are a little conservative.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:

How are the groups? Any pressure signs? I know not the best indicator. Sierra shows 24.3 for their 55 grain bullets in an AR-15. Usually they are a little conservative.
I have Sierra literature showing 23.3 for 2800 fps. I didn't shoot for group. I am trying to reach 3000. If I can, I'll start loading for group. I'd really like to hit 3300 so I can think about ordering one of these Nikon M-223 BDC scopes that are calibrated for 3250. I have seen one in action. Very nice. But I am fearful. I don't think I have the right powder. Problem is, I have 17 pounds of it. I bought the first eight-pound jug in February of 2007 when the Congress went to the Disarm-you-crats. So I said "what the hell" and got another eighter and a one-pounder a few weeks ago. Have not used any of it save for the stuff used to load the 25 I tested. Thinkin' I might have bought the wrong stuff. Might not be able to get to 3300, but I'm tempted to try seafire's recipe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I said,
quote:
I have Sierra literature showing 23.3 for 2800 fps.
Wait a minute. If 22.0 grains gives 2950-plus, then 23.3 is going to give more than 2800. Sierra is all over the highway on this one. I had the idea of mixing 10% AA No. 5 with the H-322 to see where that gets me. I've not yet decided if I'll do that with 22.0 grains or a few more. I do like the idea, though...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
...I had the idea of mixing 10% AA No. 5 with the H-322 ...
Wreckless Reloading post #3 (that I've seen). thumbdown

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
24.3 was listed for 3000 fps on Infinity V5. I've been running 25 gn of H335 with the 52 SMK and get about 200 fps more than they state for velocity. I don't have it here to check but I'll see what they have listed for that. TAC maybe.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
Brewer;

It may be your bullets-are they mil-spec type 55FMJs? They may vary in shape and weoight quite a bit.

I doubt 47 fps deviation is going to ruin the accuracy for zombie loads, but may certainly affect minute bacteria capability....

Cases uniformed? Shoulders bumped back just enough to allow reliable chambering/reduce slamfire risks, but not SB resized? Maybe the standard primers are giving less than stellar ignition?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mixed up a very small 10% AA #5 batch last night-- enough to do about 15 cases (320-some grains). I discovered the AA is so small against the H-322 that it's like trying to keep golf balls mixed in well with bowling balls. The tiny AA balls separate out very easily from the large sticks of H-322. I poured the mixture into the pan of my powder scale and saw that the AA quickly forms against the outer edges of the pile like sea foam on a beach, so no mixing this time...

Andrew, my bullets are mil-spec IMI from Widener's. Some have a very nice roll crimp under the base, others look like a crash pole overfilled with concrete. I weighed just a few: Some were spot-on ± 0.5 grain and some were several grains off up or down. This is plinkin' and AR-15 target ammo today but will be used against the blue helmeted soldiers from Kenya and other shithole African nations when they come to take our guns next July. You do know that July 2011 is when the UN and this criminal joke-ministration will put into place global gun bans that will, by treaty, disarm the US citizen-- but not Somali pirates, Mexican drug cartels or Arab terrorists?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the Blue helmeted soldiers are to be the target...........I would mix Bulleye, and the H-322 50/50...........Are you serious ????
( I aint)

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leemar28:

Are you serious????
About what? About the blue helmets? Read this month's NRA magazine. This fail-ministration wants to place us under an international gun control treaty that makes reloading illegal with punishments up to ten years in prison should you do so. Reloading will be considered "illegally manufacturing ammunition without a license or permit." They plan to implement this in July 2011. How they gonna get our guns and Dillon 650s-- kick in every door in America, ransack our homes in search of guns and stuff to do with them? They'd do it. Soldiers from third-world nations would relish the opportunity to kill Americans in America while raping a few American daughters along the way. Not making this political-- just telling you what is in store for those of us who reload.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brewer,just bump your powder charge to 23.o and it should get where you want it to be.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainsman456:

Brewer, just bump your powder charge to 23.0 and it should get where you want it to be.
I loaded up eleven at 24.0 last night. Will run them over the electric eyes at first opportunity...

<Andrew cempa>
posted
Brew;

What are you mixing the in the home brewed beer?

Seriously, I an aware ofthe provisions of the UN treaty on small arms etc. I sincerely doubt it will go anywhere-even if Obama has foolery Clintoon sign it etc. Treaties must be ratified and then the US Constitution still trumps any provisions that do not comply....

Just load the ammo-whatever the reason, have enough on hand for at least one reload or so, as that's all you likley will get to if anyone's henchmen come for you!

Best;

oh, ps- you weren't really serious about mixing powders were you? DON'T DO IT. Maybe a starter charge ahead of heavy charges in really big bores, but not mixed! I'd imagine the flake/low density charge would wind up on top of the main denser extruded charge and top off the pressure curve with a significant peak! I'd also surmise that using a starter charge would only work in a highly compressed load-in order to keep things were they were placed....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Are you serious"
I dont get in to internet discussions much.
This may belong in the Political section.....But here goes...........
NRA publication,TV, News Paper, Reloading manuals (lots of descreption there)Internet,is all written,typed , published or told by people. Some is factual some is well.B.S. some is "mixed" Belive what you want. Blend powders, smoke wile you do it. I am not worried about Blue helmeted solders. I am concerned about people who mix powders whom might be at the next bench on the range. No offence intended. wave

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
On the bolt load Sierra lists 4 loads at 3300. It seems that for the AR they stop short at 3000-3100. Like H335 is max of 25.7 for the AR but 27.5 for a bolt gun. Oddly enough for H322 the bolt load is 23.9 grains at 3100, but 24.3 for 3000 in an AR. Head scratcher???

To muddy the waters a little more on H322 and 55 grain bullets; Speer has a max of 24.5 grains and Hornady lists 24.1 grains.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew cempa:

Just load the ammo. Whatever the reason, have enough on hand for at least one reload or so as that's all you likely will get to if anyone's henchmen come for you!

Oh, PS: You weren't really serious about mixing powders were you? DON'T DO IT.
I'd rather die with a rifle in my hand than to live on my knees at the good graces of a UN soldier from Zimbabwe. Wouldn't you? And, yes, I did intend to mix the pistol and rifle powders. I did so. But as I wrote, the differing sizes of them made that idea go nowhere. Back to using just H-322 in the loads...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gonna load up a few and go chrono 'em today. Report later...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 25 grs of H-322 without undue pressure and good case life in some of my .223s. I shot 26 in a Ruger no.1 and it was fine..

My all time favorite load with H322 in a 223 is 24 grs. and that seems to be where the best accuracy has been in all of them.

I shoot 25 and 26 grs. in my 6x45 as that is my best accuracy..

I have found that H-322 is the most accurate powder I have used in either caliber and followed closely by H-335...In both calibers H-335 is very close to the same accuracy and give me about 100 or so extra FPS..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote