New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 OKH VS 338-06 dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Weatherby 338-06 on layaway, which I will pick up in Feb. I have not found any dies locally, however I do know where there is a set of 338 OKH dies for sale. Are these close enough dimension wise to interchange (obviously with a .338 expander ball)?

Thanks,
Rob

Posts: 284 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old original was .333 OKH (Oneill, Keith, Hopkins) and used a now bastard .333 bullet, not .338. Still, you might get away with it, but it could unnecessarily work the brass. Better to buy the .338-'06 dies. If those dies are really marked .338, then it is not the standard .333 OKH Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The dies I have found are plain .333 OKH dies,not 338 OKH as I originally posted. What I`m wondering is, if I replace the .333 expander ball with a .338 one, would they work to make 338-06 brass?

Thanks

Posts: 284 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The big problem you have is that the neck will be sized down way too much, .005" MORE than might be usual. The expander would then have to stretch the neck back out. This is precisely where dies with expander pull necks out of the concentric leading to accuracy problems. It will work but quite unsatisfactorily. You'll end up buying the proper die somewhere down stream so why waste the money now? Buy the proper die.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of Reddings when I built my .338-06 they have worked just fine. You'll like the .338-06 ,a very good cartridge.

Noticed that LEE is producing them now, saw a bargain priced set in either Lock Stock & Barrel or the current Graf's catalog.

You'll like the cartridge and assumiing its the Ultra Lt Weight, the gun as well. Horse traded into a .280 Rem Ultra Lt Wt three years ago and its become one of my favorites.and I was NEVER a Weatherby fan. Between the lt weight and the rifle is scary accurate, its a real winner.

DO post how yours performs as I'm quite interested.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
What Bob338 said. You can get .338-06 dies from RCBS, Redding, CH & I believe Lee. Like Frank, I ue the Redding dies & they are great. With there very generous tapered expander, it's easy to form brass. Get the proper dies, the .333OKH may also have a slightly diff. shoulder position. Great caliber, good choice, I just wish Winchester would put one up in their Ft.Wt.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote