Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about Moly...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
I've just taken possesion of my new rifle.

It's on a M700 action with a HB and a McMillan stock..In 22-250AI

I'm not convinced I WANT moly...but as I've never bothered with it in hunting rifles, I have no idea if I DO want it in a varmit/coyote rifle...

I really am not sold that the added work and cost is worth it....YET!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Gate House - I have used moly for over 10 years in my high volume varmint and target rifles. It certainly helps control throat erosion. It is no short cut for cleaning, but, it is safe to use and provides many benefits. I don�t recommend it for light volume hunting calibers, but for high volume shooting, it's tough to beat...

It is highly recommended to shoot a minimum of 50 to 75 rounds through your bore with naked bullets before switching to moly. Before switching to moly, make sure ALL the copper is removed from your bore.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
zero drift got it right- it has some benifits in some(limited) applications.

Posts: 89 | Location: south central kansas | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse, you might be interested in this site www.bbsindustries.com go to technical information then to severe fouling article.
I have a barrel on my bench gun I've used exclusively moly with. I've found no advantage with it myself, and more hassle cleaning.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see allot of guys using moly improperly at the range:

1) They spray aerosol moly on bullets that are already seated, don't wait for the moly to dry, and then shoot them.

2) They rub moly bore paste on seated bullets and then shoot them.

3) They shoot 100 non moly bullets and then without getting all the copper out of the barrel first, start shooting moly bullets.

4) They spray aerosol moly up the bore.

What they SHOULD be doing is:

1) Start with a bore that has a smooth and copper free. Rough bores will cut right through the moly and scrape off copper that will cut right through the moly and ...

2) Burnish the bore with moly bore paste on a patch before shooting.

3) Shoot only moly coated and dry bullets.

If done right, it moly means cleaning the gun for 3 minutes every 50 shots instead of cleaning the gun for 10 minutes every 10 shots to keep .5 moa accuracy.

--

A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I have read several articles on the erosion of moly. The articles had good pictures showing the erosion in different climates. The real jist of the articles was that if you hunt in any moist environments that you dont need to use moly. They said that it is not good for hunting rifles but, would be good for high volume target shooting in a dry environment.

Since it sounds like you are going to use your rifle for hunting, you might want to stay away from moly. Its not worth it to risk erosion to your nice rifle.

Here in Louisiana the climate is very humid so, you dont see many folks using moly. I have seen some substitutes but, I am not sure of their performance.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have read several articles on the erosion of moly. The articles had good pictures showing the erosion in different climates.
Since it sounds like you are going to use your rifle for hunting, you might want to stay away from moly. Its not worth it to risk erosion to your nice rifle. ...

Hey Reloader, If you still have access to those articles, look to see if they mention the barrels "still need to be cleaned and lubed" after shooting.

I've used Moly in the humid Carolinas for many years now and have never experienced the erosion you mentioned. That said, when one of my firearms goes outside it gets cleaned and lightly lubed when it comes back indoors.

I believe the "Moly Erosion Scare" is bogus with proper care.

Hey Gatehouse, I originally got into Moly Coating my own bullets to extend the life of the barrels on my rifles. So far, I can gladly recommend it to you and your 22-250. There are a few tricks to getting it to work for you, but you can scan back through some of the old threads to see them.

As for me, Moly is well worth the minor effort it takes to get the Bullets coated. But if a guy doesn't shoot too much, I can see where.... no, it is still worth it especially in the humid climate I hunt in.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Ditto Hot Core - Many years ago there was a lot of range gossip regarding moly breaking down and forming some mysterious acid which aggressively ate bores. After tens of millions of rounds shot using moly, two things are for certain 1. It is totally safe when used properly 2. It does provide certain benefits. Moly is no shortcut for cleaning. You must still properly clean and care for your bore.

I have a very long rundown on moly use and moly cleaning if anyone is interested. It is very long, but has some useful observations.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Hot core,

This is the only info I have at this time but, I used to have an article that showed the results in several pictures.

If you clean w/ a good inhibitor while still at the range, it will probably inhibit the moly from eroding the firearm but, if the firearm is taken from a hot day at the range into an airconditioned area, the moisture can cause the acid to form.

It seems like w/ some of the other coatings available you could get similar performance w/ less worry.

"Any moly is corrosive if it does not contain an inhibitor to neutralize the naturally occurring acidic quality of the moly. Dry moly is particularly bad as it is chemically impossible to add an inhibitor to dry moly. Even the most highly refined and pure moly will contain (among other compounds/elements) some Sulfur and Sulfur Dioxide (S02). When the Sulfur or Sulfur Dioxide is exposed to the humidity in air, it combines with water vapor to form Sulfuric Acid (H2S04) which then immediately attacks any metal. The higher the humidity the more acid is formed and the more corrosion which takes place. One cannot detect this corrosion by simple examination as it takes place between the moly crystal and the substrate and is hidden by the moly crystal covering it. Corrosion can only be seen by first removing all moly thereby exposing the corrosion to view. Those who fire bullets coated with dry moly will have little corrosion as long as firing is being done as the heat from firing drives off the moisture. However, as soon as a firing session stops and there upon cools down, water vapor will begin to be absorbed by the moly and corrosion begins. And, the longer between firing sessions, the more corrosion which will take place. The corrosive properties of uninhibited or dry moly have been well documented by military testing as far back as 1968. (Shooter's News, April 1999)"

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The way to check for moly corrosion is to look in the 1/4" of muzzle that can be seen with close to a normal angle. The corrosion will look red, and not copper or gold color like from copper fouling. I had this a few times, and traced it to leaving allot of moly bore paste in the bore, and blasting it out of there with a real hot round. The two ways of preventing this are; 1) push out the excess paste with a patch 2) clean the bore at the end of the day with a caustic solution [baking soda and water]. The odd thing about red bore, is that it can form under oil if the rifle is in the car over night. I don't know how the moisture gets through oil, but it does.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Clark,

I find that some have experienced accuracy problems and loss of speed w/ the moly. Whats your opinion on that?

Reloader

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

The loss in velocity is due to a lower chamber pressure/ powder burn rate which is caused by lower friction between the bullet and bore. By using a chronograph, you can work your loads back up to max velocity. You will generally use higher than published charge weights, however, you will generally experience lower peak chamber pressures and higher velocities.

In regards to accuracy, moly alters the barrel harmonic. It tends to dampen extreme whips in the barrel movement. As a result, you need to work your loads to achieve the best bullet exit. Nothing different than with naked bullets, however, it is generally easier to find the sweet spot with moly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Reloader, I do appreciate your going to the effort to wham all that info in for us. Must admit it does "look" like a bad thing when you read that.

Do not take this as arguing with you when I say that I've just never experienced a problem with Moly. (Well, there was a "getting it onto the Bullet" learning curve for me since all the info about how to get it peened into the Bullets wasn't available when I first started with it.)

I'm also believe what Clark has to say about the Red Streaks, but I've just not seen them either. And "under oil"! There are some folks who post on here that I'd have an extremely difficult time believing that, but I've no reason to doubt Clark.

It just seems that Zero Drift and I have had a totally different experience. It would be nice to be able to have a "believeable" explaination as to why we don't see a problem, and the only thing I can track it to is perhaps we do something different in our Cleaning sequence.

Granted, it doesn't take much "cleaning" at all in my bores. And I do use a Moly Grease after cleaning and then run a couple of dry patches to remove any excess.

Hey ZD, I tumble my bullets in corn cob treated with Carnuba for 60sec after getting the MOS2 peened in, do you? Maybe the Carnuba is doing something to prevent the Red Streaks.

Hey Clark, How `bout you? Do you Carnuba?

I've been wanting to run a Test for a couple of years now in a Virgin Rifle(non-Molyed)with bullets that have no MOS2, but get the Carnuba treatment. I may have the chance this Spring with two rifles. It will take awhile for me to come to a conclusion, so don't anyone sit around holding your breath.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Hot Core - I don�t have the patience to coat my own. I have been a Walt Berger fan for a long time. Fortunately, my target and varmint rifles also seem to like Walt a lot so, I just feed them a steady diet of Berger coated bullets. I know a few who still coat and they peen with steel shot and coat with carnauba. The only real trick is to fully de-grease the bullets before starting.

I used to do the long range target thing and briefly played around in F-Class. During my serious LR target shooting days, I knew a bunch of competitive shooters from around the country, including Walt Burger, who shot nothing but moly. Not ONE in the bunch ever reported any problems.

I use Butch�s Bore Shine in between strings of 30 - 50 and at home I soak the bore with BBS for awhile, followed by a few clean patches. I finish with a light coat of Kroil and store the rifle muzzle down for a few days. Before the next shoot, I run a few clean patches through and I am ready. By following this routine, I have avoided the throat buildup common with shooting moly. In addition, I do not need to really scrub with JB and re-moly the tube.

I use a Hawkeye bore scope to monitor throat erosion and bore condition. I scope my high volume rifles every few months when I was shooting a lot. I can assure you that I have never seen the first problem with moly and certainly no corrosion. I have been able to increase the total number of rounds shot by 50% or better in 7 rifles. This translates to considerable re-barreling savings each year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried spraying my own moly bullets, but I couldn't stand the fumes.

I bought Berger moly bullets and got great results [at 25 cents a shot].

Then I got Vmax moly bullets and got great groups [at 15 cents a shot]

Then I got Vmax bullets not made in moly and had Russ Hayden coat them for me [ 2 cents extra a shot]

Then I got some blems at Lock stock and Barrel [ 3 cents a shot + 2 cents for Russ moly coating them = 5 cents a shot]

I don't know how much lower I can slide, but the the 5 cent moly bullets are getting me great groups, and I have a couple thousand of them to shoot up

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Clark - If it works, don�t change a thing!!! That's a great deal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...I have been a Walt Berger fan for a long time.
The only real trick is to fully de-grease the bullets before starting.
By following this routine, I have avoided the throat buildup common with shooting moly.
I have been able to increase the total number of rounds shot by 50% or better in 7 rifles. ....

Hey ZD, Back when I was pondering Moly, I picked up a Precision Shooting magazine and there was an ad for Walt Berger's bullets. At that time he said the count thorugh his wife's rifle was (I think) 4500 with no appreciable signs of accuracy degredation.

Did you see any of his ads with a higher count? If so, what was it?

That got my attention. Then in the next issue was an article about a Test that NORMA had been running on some kind of "hot" 6.5mm with Moly bullets. At the time of the article, NORMA had just shy of 10,000 rounds through it and again words similar to "with no appreciable signs of accuracy degredation".

So, I got into Moly and have been very happy with the results. I completely agree with your comment about, "fully de-grease the bullets before starting". If you don't, you may get bullets with no MOS2 on them or measling.

For some reason, I'm real prone to forget that "Ring-in-the-Throat". I've seen it too, but it totally disappeared when I resumed cleaning more often between groups. Always seemed like a "Carbon Ring" to me. Is that what it is, or something else?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... It seems like w/ some of the other coatings available you could get similar performance w/ less worry. ...

Hey Reloader, Have you got any experience with other coatings? If so, what are they and how well do you like them. Do you apply them yourself? Are they difficult to apply? What kind of extended barrel life have you seen?

I was very close to Testing some coated with Armoloy, but moved before I could get the details worked out. A company in NC called "Calico Coatings" is who I was talking with. I've wondered if the coating that John Lazzeroni has put on his bullets is some form of Armoloy.

I'm always interested in something better!

Hey ZD, How `bout you? Any experience with other coatings?

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

Hot Core - The throat fouling you see with moly is largely carbon/powder fouling. You can get the same with jacketed bullets if you don�t bother the clean your bore. In addition, most moly shooters tend to shoot a hotter barrel which only accelerates throat fouling.

As far as other coatings, folks have been experimenting with lots of dry lubricants for many years. Barnes (Blue coating) & Nosler (Lubalox) both have tried dry lubricants with only marginal results. Barnes did it to help control their miserable jacket fouling and it seems to work pretty well. The Lubalox coating from Nosler didn�t do much.

The reason why moly works is because it is largely impervious to extreme heat, pressure, and friction. Things like Teflon burn under pressure so very few compounds can withstand the environment associated with firearms. MOS2 simply works where nothing has before.

I am pleased with the performance of moly, so I would be hard pressed to move to something else. Remember, if someone came up with a slicker material, the net result will be even lower chamber pressures and higher powder charge weights. My long throated 6.5-284's are getting near maximum load densities/throw weights already with moly. I would be hard pressed to add more powder without changing to a quicker burn, then my barrel harmonics are off and then I am starting from scratch once again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I find that some have experienced accuracy problems and loss of speed w/ the moly.

In my case, with three different Remington 700s -- a Mountain Rifle in .270 Winchester, a Classic in .300 Weatherby, and a Classic in .375 H&H -- I did not experience either of those things. In fact, if anything, I experienced an increase in accuracy and velocity. The increase in accuracy may have come from the very extensive bore polishing I did with JB Bore Paste before I moly treated the bores and went to moly coating my bullets. I had experienced a very large amount of copper fouling with these rifles before switching to moly. That problem seems to be licked now.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I need to rethink my decision to not use moly.

I had problems with inconsistency when using " Ms. Moly " This is the brand name of a spray on coating. Maybe it was the brand and not the moly ?

This much I do know for sure, choose which you want moly vs. plain in large batches. The switching back and forth thing will drive you nucking futz, a changing coat of moly does nothing for consistancy.

Anybody experiment with adding moly powder to their powder ?
I always wondered if that would work, moly is not supposed to have any effect on powder in casual contact. Not sure how much you could add before the moly would coat the powder too much, changing it's burn rate.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Maybe I need to rethink my decision to not use moly.

I had problems with inconsistency when using " Ms. Moly " This is the brand name of a spray on coating. Maybe it was the brand and not the moly?

I've used Berger bullets that were moly coated by Berger, and other bullets from Sierra, Speer, Nosler, and Hornady that I've coated myself.

To do moly coating myself, I got Midway's moly powder and a tumbler that was designed to be a toy rock tumbler for children; I got it at Toys R Us for about $40. I put a box of bullets in the tumbler, then fill it nearly full with steel BBs. I also put a small acount -- maybe 1/3 teaspoon or less -- of moly powder in the tumbler. I then set it to running for about 3/4 of an hour. I do not use Carnuba wax.

The bullets come out with a film of moly on them that has been peened into their surface by the BBs. I fish them out and put them in their bullet box. When loading them, I use a glove on my hand to lift the bullet out of the box and position it on top of the powder-charged case in the seating die, as a some of the moly coating will rub off on your fingers.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I had problems with inconsistency when using " Ms. Moly " This is the brand name of a spray on coating. Maybe it was the brand and not the moly ?...

Hey Travis, There are two problems I know of with any of the Spray-Ons:

1. It doesn't stick well. I was already "peening" MOS2 when the Sprays came out. A guy on another board was talking about the Spray and I asked him to perform a Test for us. First he cleaned two bullets. Then he sprayed one, let it dry overnight and Seated it in an empty case. He heated the other bullet, sprayed it, let it set overnight and Seated it.

Then he "Pulled" the bullets with an Impact Puller and the Sprayed on Moly had been scraped off during the Seating. So, it amounted to no MOS2 on the Bearing Surface.

2. If sprayed on a "loaded" bullet, it doesn't get on the Bearing Surface at all, so all you have done is color the tip and send money to the Spray Moly folks.

Never heard of putting MOS2 in the Powder. What do you think that would accomplish?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...The throat fouling you see with moly is largely carbon/powder fouling.
Lubalox both have tried dry lubricants with only marginal results...

Hey ZD, Thanks for confirming the Carbon Ring. I used to see it years ago when using H870 with lighter bullets in the 7mmRemMags. Fortunately Bruce Hodgdon had mentioned using "Bon Ami" and your favorite Bore Cleaner to make a paste that would remove it.

I use Paper Patches and have "felt" the Carbon Ring in some rifles(with Moly Bullets) when my count gets too high. So, I've just gone back to my old cleaning at the Range routine and have no problem with it now.

Best article I ever saw on Lubalox was many years ago. In fact, it may have been in a Winchester Shot Shell ad. Excellent explaination on why the Lubalox was used to allow the shot string to transition the choke with less shot deformation.

Oh by-the-way, for all you folks considering MOS2, it increases your Ballistic Coefficient by right at 5% if that matters to you.