New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 308 cal 180gn+ oxymoron!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The 180 gr.RN Corelokts work exceptionally well, as do the WW powerpoints, the Silvertips are the softest and tend to come apart..I really like the WW powerpoint in the .308 for So. Texas, it gets the job done well....

The 180 gr. Noslers will surprise you as they expand in a hurry but will penetrate very well indeed...I have used this bullet in the 30-06 in So. Texas on hogs, deer and Javalina with excellent results...

The 30-30 bullet will literally explode unless you load it down considerably....

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, When you think bullets that weight you tend to want a little more penetration. I'll be using a 308 or 30-06, probably the 308 to hunt very thick stuff. I'll have the chance at some rather large pigs, but might also have a chance at a deer. In that case, I'd prefer a soft bullet. I won't take any bad(poor angle)shots at unwounded animals. If I can't get a good shot I'll pass. I just believe that a heavier, slower bullet would be less likely to deflect, or be upset by an unseen branch. I've got some 170gn(30-30) corelocks, but was thinking heavier. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that the Barnes and some of the other primium bullets are designed to expand appropriately at slower speeds. I'd suggest you contact the various bullet makers in whom you have an interest and ask them this question. I know from experience that Serria will be back with an e-mail within a day. I assume the others are about as good.

Posts: 37 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My impression is that Sierra 180 and 220 grain round nose are one of the "softer" .308 bullets not of the .30-30 class. By softer I mean will expand at modest velocities. I know a .30-40 hunter that uses them for deer in his Krag.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That's easy, Sierra Paper.. I mean bullet company. Sorry couldn't resist. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Soft is one thing, fluted tips are another. My guess is that the softest 180 gn rn would be the Speer. But Ill bet the initial expansion of a core loct or Hornady would come very clost to equaling it because the speer does not have a fluted tip. For greater penetration fluted tips are better because they tend to give smaller mushrooms.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote