Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New at this... Maybe
 Login/Join

posted
So, I inherited a Dillon reloading press. It is a XL-650 progressive press with 45acp dies.

I'm on the edge of whether to sell the whole thing or jump in and buy what I need to reload 45's and 223's.

Other than a die set (I guess I'm calling it correctly) a tumbler and scale, what will I need to responsibly load ammo? Also is there a book that I should get to explain all that I don't know (which is pretty much everything).

If this turns out to be too complicated, I'll see if I can trade it off or sell it.
Thanks for any info.

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's set up for .45 ACP already. See if there is are any manuals with it. Go to Dillion precisions website, http://www.dillonprecision.com/

Read the Blue Press, combination catalog and magazine. There is a link for manuals, also.

Reloading is almost pretty easy. Go about it slow and methodically. Get a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading" and check out some of the other books at Barnes and Noble if you have one local. Feel free to ask questions.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have been relaoding for 17 years and am not an expert by any means. I was advised to start with the Lyman manual and that is the best advise that I got. I was told to avoid all the old outdated manuals as the data can be confusing to a beginner. I also started with a single stage Lee anniversary kit and that was also the best advise i got. Over the years I added various accessories and a new redding press.

My view is that you need to start with the basics first and get it right in principle before going to a progressive press.

JM$0.02W

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`d pick up a Lyman manual. That one has data for cast lead as well as various different brands of jacketed. The others are devoted to just their bullets and if you plan on shooting lead in your 45 may not be much help.
The book also has a great "how to" section for the beginner.
There are also some very good videos on YouTube explaining your press and how to use it. I`d run a search there, and watch a few to get the feel of what you will be doing.
Enjoy! You got a great press and are going to find you`re shooting much more in the future

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get rid of this dillion 650 since it is already set up to for the 45 which you want to do. And you will shortly wish you had it once you realize what a pain a single stage is for pistol.

Buying a single stage press and learning to reload "just because that is how I did it" wouldn't be the way I would go about this since you already got one of the better progressives given to you.

They have a life time guarantee on anything that breaks and they do back that up.

Follow Sam's advice and learn to use it.

I realize Texas is a big state, but surely their is someone that could help you aroud your area?

I started a friend off with a dillion 550, based on how much he shot pistol (45,9,38) and the rifle's that he has. (308 and 223). If he was going to shoot in competition pistol, I probably would have had him buy a 650.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's. I plan to go to the local bookstore and find a Lyman manual. Guess I'll start putting together a reloading corner in my man-cave. Looks like I'm only a couple hundred dollars away from having a pretty nice setup. I have been pricing reloading supplies and there is quite a savings in doing it myself.

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill the Blaster:
I have been pricing reloading supplies and there is quite a savings in doing it myself.

The problem is it's addicting and you end up spending more money because you shoot more Smiler