New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen sb dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The local gun shop has a Rem 7400 auto in 35 Whelen that I have been slobering over. I have loaded for semi autos before with small base dies. I can't find sb dies for the Whelen. Are they realy necessary?

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, not at all. Small base dies are for tight chambers generally .308 Winchester and .223 Remington.

Go for it.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I disagree wholeheartedly! A set of small base dies is needed in those rifles (autos, pumps and maybe some levers) where camming power is not great. I have a 35 whelen in a remington pump and have found that RCBS SB sizing dies make feed and function a breeze. Why ask for problems. horse

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load for 3 Browning BAR's, 1 Ruger Mini and 1 Rem 742, All function flawlessly with standard FL dies.

Buckeyeshooter, ware did you get your RCBS 35 Whelen SB Dies? I don't see them listed in RCBS's reference charts.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 1952 date M760 Remington in 35 Remington that shoots everything just fine with several different sets of standard dies.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Huntington's in Ca.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
.....A set of small base dies is needed in those rifles (autos, pumps and maybe some levers) where camming power is not great....

Not always, I have/had 3 BARs, 1 Mini 14, 1 AR15, 2 Valmet Semiauto 308 W and none of them need/needed SB dies; a friend of mine reloads for a Rem 7600 cal. 35 Whelen with plain RCBS dies.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try the gun after buying it and see what it needs, some do and some don't, depends at what stage of new the reamer was used I am told. You can get SB dies from RCBS in any caliber by request and at an additional charge. You may find that you can get by just fine with a set of std. dies.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 7600 35 Whelen only needs sized by a cheap Lee die set. It shucks just fine.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote