New
Find
Notify
Tools

Larger bullets and pressure.
 Login/Join

<Nocked>
posted
I slugged the bore of my Finnish M39 to find out it has a .310 bore. Will using a Hornady .312 bullet be cause for concern as far as increased pressure?

The barrel is mint and it headspaces fine. I'm not interested in max velocity but have no way to measure pressure except by examining the brass and opening the bolt.

<stans>
posted
Yes, pressure will be increased by using a bullet, especially a jacketed bullet, that is 0.002" over bore diameter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, if the pressure peak of swaging the bullet down to bore size is not concurrent with the pressure peak of the powder burning, then the absolute peak pressure does not change.

I have shot .323 bullets in a 303 Brit, 45 acp bullets in a .410 shotgun, and others.

For those who can't believe anything unless they read it in a load book:

P.O. Ackley 1966 "Handbook for Shooters
and Reloaders Vol 2" chapter 7
"additional pressure tests":
"..30 cal barrel pressure barrel was fitted to the test gun, but the neck and throat was enlarged to accept the 8mm bullet, with the bore remaining the standard 30 caliber. A Remington factory 30-06 cartridge with the 150 gr bullet had been tested and previously gave 57,300 psi, for a velocity of 3030 fps. The the bullets were pulled from two more Remingtom 150 grain cartridges and were replaced with 8mm 150 grain bullets. To everyone's surprise, although the velocity was rathererratic, these loads averaged 2901 fps, with a pressure of 40,700 psi."

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark, all I have to say is I'm glad I don't shoot any of YOUR reloads!

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Hi Nocked,
Just curious as to how you slugged your barrel. If you just pushed a lead slug down it even with a fair amount of force to start it,it's quite possible that you didn't get full expansion with the lead slug. You have to put something like a dowel that is bore sized down the muzzle end and expand the slug out to full dimension against it to get a full slug size and measurement. I would think there is more chance that the slug is not expaned enough plus it can be difficult to get a precise measurement on a rifled slug. Your talking .001 per side which isn't hard to loose.
Take care,
470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark has it right.

I also have a Finnish M39, which is outfitted with a strain gauge. The barrel slugs at .3102", which, I'm told, is about what practically all Finns slug. I routinely shoot Hornady bullets in it. These sometimes "mike" at .312", and sometimes at .311". With 50 grains of Varget behind one of these pills, and with CCI200 primers and a 2.880" COL, I get about 52 KPSI, which is within my personal comfort zone. Commercial S&B 180 grain measures 58 KPSI, which is too hot for my comfort.

As to the precision of the strain gauge system, you'll have to wait for my article in the July "Varmint Hunter", where I review the precision of the Shooting Chrony, the CUP method, the piezoelectric method, and the strain gauge method.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Denton,
I found the commercial S&B soft point 180 gr ammo to be very accurate. But when I tried to reload, the primer pockets had a big radius on the bottom and i had to ream the pockets. To make matters worse, the reloads were not accurate.

I gave up on them and use Lapua brass now.

<Nocked>
posted
Hi 470 Mbogo, I slugged the bore with an egg shaped fishing sinker a little larger than the bore and wooden dowel rod. I measured across the lenght and width of the slug.

Clark, Thanks for the info. I use Lapua brass because I had the same problem with the S&B. Lots of my primers were cratered with that stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by denton:
As to the precision of the strain gauge system, you'll have to wait for my article in the July "Varmint Hunter", where I review the precision of the Shooting Chrony, the CUP method, the piezoelectric method, and the strain gauge method.

Hey Denton, I don't have to wait at all. I figured out YEARS AGO none of those methods are as good as using a 0.0001" capable Micrometer to measure Pressure Ring Expansion and Case Head Expansion for knowing when to STOP adding Powder. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Fire a round. Now drop one of those bullets into the mouth of the case. Does it enter freely? Or is the fired case mouth too tight to admit the bullet??

If it drops in easily, and slides back out easily, you can fire them with no worries about increased pressure. Oversize bullets ARE ONLY DANGEROUS IF THEY JAM IN THE CASE AND WON'T COME OUT INTO THE BORE AS THEY SHOULD WHEN FIRED.

Clark is right, stans and vip are both WRONG!! In the late 50's or early 60's, a guy sent an Arisaka 6.5mm to the NRA that he had rechambered to .30/'06 WITHOUT ANY OTHER CHANGES!! He had been firing it with no problems!! The NRA also test-fired it, and were amazed at the "arrow-like" appearance of the .308" bullet that had been swaged down to 6.5mm as it went through the barrel.

Ackley also proved this is possible, (he didn't think an 8mm bullet would b;low up a .30 cal rifle) and offered a reward ($50,000??) to anyone who could prove to him that a rifle could be damaged with oversize bullets, PROVIDED THAT THE CASE MOUTH FREELY RELEASED THE BULLET ON FIRING!! No-one ever won this bet against him!!

[ 05-26-2003, 00:11: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core..

I'm woefuly ignorant on the case expansion method. However, just a cursory look at the resolution of the system says that if .0005" corresponds to roughly 50 KPSI, and the mike can resolve .0001", then the resolution of the measurement system is around 10 KPSI. So that has not encouraged me to do a full measurement analysis on case expansion.

Maybe we ought to do a statistical work-up, and see what we get. Could be the basis of a good article.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eldeguello, I'm not wrong! I am glad I don't shoot reloads with severely oversized bullets. This rationale is what tends to cause injury. It might work most of the time but eventually the odds are going to get you. I'm not talking about swaging a thousanths or so all the way around but when you start bumping it up a caliber it's like playing Russian Roulette. Akley did alot of destructive testing and concluded that the Arisaka was almost impossible to destroy. 500grains posted of his trying to destroy an Arisaka. A few years ago I saw a young man bring his father's favorite 25-06 sako into the gunsmith. He was shooting it with his friend who happened to be shooting a .308. I think you know where this goes. Anyhow after the the gunsmith was able to hammer the action open what was left was a shattered stock, bulged magazine, and a bolt that was set back a few thousanth into the action. THE NECK RELEASED THE BULLET JUST FINE WITH PLENTY OF ROOM TO SPARE!! However, the case no longer looked like a 308 and the bullet swaged itself completely through the bore. You may want to rethink your statement "oversize bullets ARE ONLY DANGEROUS IF THEY JAM IN THE CASE AND WON'T COME OUT INTO THE BORE AS THEY SHOULD WHEN FIRED." I know this is shooting a different case and all but just wanted to show the chamber sealed and the bullet cleared the bore but the pressures were so high from swaging the bullet that the case head/primer failed and the gases exited through the magazine well. This was lucky for the shooter as he only sustained a splintered hand and an angry father.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by denton:
1. I'm woefuly ignorant on the case expansion method.

2. However, just a cursory look at the resolution of the system says that if .0005" corresponds to roughly 50 KPSI, and the mike can resolve .0001", then the resolution of the measurement system is around 10 KPSI. So that has not encouraged me to do a full measurement analysis on case expansion.

3. Maybe we ought to do a statistical work-up, and see what we get. Could be the basis of a good article.

Hey Denton, 1. Nothing at all wrong with not knowing about something, I'm in the same boat about a lot of things.

I can recommend Ken Waters "Pet Loads" which has a good explaination of how Pressure Ring Expansion(PRE) and Case Head Expansion(CHE) have worked just fine for well over 100 years.

And Bob Hagel's book "Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter" is also a good read on this subject.

Having used it myself for over 4 decades, I've also found a few tricks that help folks out when they do decide to try it.

2. This is a trap most folks familiar with Strain Gauges fall into. They want to be able to convert PRE into PSI and that just isn't possible. The good news is it is totally unnecessary to do so, since a box of "Factory Ammo" is normally used to establish a Benchmark for PRE. Here we get to use the multi-million dollar Factory Test Labs to establish what is a MAX Pressure for "EACH" Lot of cases.

CHE takes care of itself after the first firing, but is best ignored on that initial firing.

3. Absolutely excellent idea. I've not seen anything in print about PRE and CHE in years. Granted, I've quit taking most of the Gun Rags, so if it has been in print, I've just missed it.

Once you go through learning how to do PRE and CHE properly (in your normal unbiased manor), I do believe you will see the merit to it. Plus it allows a Beginner to assemble TOTALLY SAFE reloads by buying a set of $21 RCBS 0.0001 capable Micrometers from www.Wideners.com . I've not seen them any cheaper anywhere at anytime.

Good luck if you decide to try it out.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about "BORE" diameter, that is the diameter of the "LANDS" of the rifling. It is normal to use bullets "about" .008 inch in diameter LARGER than the BORE diameter. Such as .308 dia bullets in a .308 Win caliber with a .300 diameter BORE (which usually has a GROOVE diameter of .308). The bullets are "usually" the same diameter as the GROOVE diameter (not the BORE diameter) in most rifles. If I am mistaken, someone please correct me. Have fun, Safeshot

Posts: 33 | Location: United States | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was interesting.
If the peak pressure from burning in is when the bullet has traveled 1", and a .308 in a 25-06 will still be swaging the bullet down at the 1" mark, then the peak pressures add, and VIP's dad got spliters.

And I learned from Hot Core that Che lives.

[ 05-27-2003, 04:53: Message edited by: Clark ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark, just curious how you figure my father got splinters? No mention of my father was made by me or anyone else. I guess that by swaging a bullet of larger diameter doesn't require any more energy than one of a smaller diameter in the same barrel. If it does require more energy, than where did it come from since shooting larger diameter bullets actually decreases chamber pressure? Could this be why the chamber pressure was less? Because the energy of the expanding gases went into swaging the bullet? Was there anymore heat caused by the friction of a longer bullet. Remeber the barrel didn't get any bigger so the bullet must have gotten longer creating more bearing surface. Just wondering. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
VIP,

My mistake, there were too many characters for my careless brain to keep straight.

I think the best way to look at it is not energy, but pressure required to swage a bullet down to a smaller diameter. This will become a local maximum in the graph of pressure vs time. One might ask if it would also cause a delay, but this does not seem to have a big effect in my experiments This is probably because I have done all my swaging a few thousandths of an inch after the bullet started moving. To calculate the swaging contribution to pressure from swaging I looked at the strength of lead and copper in compression and the bullet's cross sectional area [normal to axis] before swaging. This is about 5 kpsi that adds to the pressure curve about that point in time.