New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 rem loads for highpower comp
 Login/Join

<Rayzor25>
posted
Hey guys, need some help developing some loads for my ar15 match rifle(24" 1x7.7 krieger). Rifle has about 125 rds.I use 69gr sierra hpbt and 80gr sierras.This rifle will not shoot with w748( 3"-4" at 100 yrds. Someone at the range let me try some of his ammo and it shot under 1" first shots out. His ammo was "HSM 69 gr sierra molys in the bright orange box". He thinks the powder they use is varget. Any one out there got some good loads for the 223 rem with 69 sierras using varget or re-15? Any info appreciated!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rayzor-

Welcome to the forum!

I shoot 24.5 grs of Varget behind both the 69 and 80 gr SMK, with CCI BR primers, in my Service Rifle.

If you can't get the 80's shooting, try the 77's, they shoot great as well.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

<Mike Anderson>
posted
I've got a question for you guys. I have always heard that the 77gr sierras were made to fit the AR clips but that the 80 grain would not fit. I suppose 3 grains is just about a knats ass, so what's the story, any problems with seating depth, etc?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 24.5 varget in a LC case with a CCI400 primer at 200 yards which is a bit mild but extremely accurate and all you need for short line. I use the same charge and primer and case at 300 but with the 77 and it shoots great but is Max maybe too much in a Kreiger with their tight bore try 23.5 and 24.0 At 600 I have not seen a gun that would not shoot the sierra 80 with 24 or 24.5 Varget and a CCI BR-4 primer well these are in a Service rifle Who built your gun? What chamber did they use?

The other answer is that the 77 is shorter and has a more blunt profile and longer bearing surface for mag use. The 80 is designed to be seated out long 2.425 to 2.5 and has a much different ogive.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Rayzor25>
posted
Thanks guys! KevinNY, I put the gun together.The barrel and chambering is by Krieger barrels. They used the standard short reamer for the throat, popular with highpower shooters.It is a bushmaster matched upper/lower. White oak precision trigger, Scott Medesha float tube and I have a nightforce nxs on it right now while developing a load. Again thanks for the info, now I have something to start with(my sierra reloading manual does not have a listing for varget or re15)Rayzor25

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Another on-again, off-again powder is AA2520. The difference seems to be the primers. I use WW primers which just doesn't work with Varget in my Krieger, Rock River or Bushmaster barrels. WW primers do work handsomely with AA2520 in all those barrels. For bare 69s, 25 grains works. For mollied 75 Hornadys (both BTHP and A-Max), I use 24 even.

Best of luck!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote