New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Design --
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Design as in shape. I'm going to skip over solids, partitions, interbonded, etc.

I just figured out what sectional density and ballistic coefficient are all about, the reason for a boat-tail design.

Looking at long range and bench shooting in 7mm Rem. Mag. and .308 Win.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wm.S.Ladd:
Design as in shape. ---
--

Not certain as to your question--

I shot 308 competitively in the past-
and shoot long range now as a hobby.

Lots of good bullets out there--
I mostly shoot 168's, 175's and some 155's ,depending on the rifle/application.

(in my larger 30 cal's 210's and 240's)

Overall the Berger VLDs are very good in my rifles, though one prefers a Sierra and another a Hornady.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
SD has little to do with the boat tail design. The shape of the bullet is all about BC. It's what bal charts use for determining drop. You also will need an accurate vel. measurement, guessing won't do at long range.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wm.S.Ladd:
Hey Mr. Ladd, If you stop by a good Gun Shop that sells Reloading equipment, they generally have FREE large folded-up Bullet Posters from all the Bullet Manufacturers. On those posters, they normally list all the important details about Weight, Sectional Density and Ballistic Coefficients. Or, you can check their web sites, and/or buy their Manuals, which I do.

Then it takes a bit of thinking to decide which Bullet to try first. The " Sleekest " Bullet(highest B.C.) does not always shoot well in every rifle, nor will it always produce a Velocity necessary to create the kind of Trajectory you might desire.

So, you have to "Balance" your requirements with the B.C.s available, their potential Velocity and then check the Trajectory Tables. In some situations, you might desire a bit flatter Trajectory by going to a slightly Lighter Bullet which you can push a bit faster. Or, you may find that even though the Heavier Bullet is going slower, the High B.C. it has causes it to have a flatter Trajectory at the distance you desire to shoot.

Once you decide which has the potential of fitting your specific needs the best, then you have to shoot them and see how well they actually shoot in your specific rifle. Sometimes a particular rifle just doesn't like a specific Weight, or Brand of Bullet. I've yet to hear a reasonable explaination why that is so, but it is the way it works.

People can tell you what works for them, but it doesn't necessarily mean their requirements are the same as yours.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote