New
Find
Notify
Tools

25/35 in Win SRC, Crimp or Not
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a 1909 winchester 1894 SRC in 25/35 and a set of RCBS dies. Fired some win factory ammo and am ready to load up some Hornady 117 RN bullets. I am wondering since the bullets have a cannalure and the RCBS seater die will also crimp, should I go ahead and give them a crimp. I know it doesn't have much recoil but I'd hate to find out later that a crimp was needed. None of my other lever rifles have tube magazines so they don't get a crimp.

Thanks,

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Use a mild roll crimp...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
. . . . but always seat and crimp in two DIFFERENT operations. If you attempt to crimp as you seat, you will be forcing the bullet deeper as you snug the mouth against it -- a situation which cannot help but scar the bullet. Instead, seat your bullets to the final depth with the die backed off, then back off the seating stem out of the way (or remove it entirely) and reset the die body to give the desired crimp. Now run all of your loads through the die again to crimp them.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In lieu of any specific knowledge about the gun, yes, mildly. However, if you have the time, check your neck tension next time you're loading. That is the difference between bullet diameter and sized neck ID. With .002" maybe, .003" probably not. Load a few without crimps then shoot once. Eject the ammo in the magazine then measure OAL for setback. If none, load the entire magazine and repeat. If you get no setback with a full magazine your pretty much good to go. You would be prudent to repeat the last step several times.

I have a buddy who shoots stiff paper patch loads in 45-70 without any more than a mild taper crimp. Marlin Cowboy Gun BTW.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote