Find
Notify
Tools

10mm DI powder
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
Which of the following powders I have on hand would be the cleaner of the bunch i.e. gunk, residue etc.

No.9
Lil'Gun
Power Pistol
Win Action Pistol
Universal Clays
Unique

I know Unique is probably the dirtiest.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've used Power Pistol in that list. It's clean.

Also like Silhouette, AA7.

AA9 is probably for hotter loads. Might not burn all the powder.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Power Pistol does seem to be a little cleaner in my 10mm pistols. I have about the same amount of AA9 and Power Pistol but tend to use Power Pistol more.
Would the AA9 burn more efficiently (cleaner) in the 16 inch DI AR? I'll be shooting mostly 180 gr bullets.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
WAP is the same as silhouette

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I did not know that, didn't they stop making WAP? If so I'm glad it is back in Silhouette form as I have a good load with 180 gr bullets in my pistols.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the fastest one will burn the cleanest.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others, Power Pistol is about as clean burning as anything I have ever shot. On the other hand Unique is so dirty I won't load it again.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, WAP and Power pistol are the cleanest of the lot, but don't give the best velocities.

I typically use VV 350 for my 10 mm loads for hunting. I also have used a fair amount of Blue Dot.

That said, I only use it in pistols. The slower burning powders will give more gas volume, and with a longer barrel, might be better at staying clean.

Clays will be quite slow/over pressure if you load it to 10 mm velocities- its very touchy in USPSA major loading with a .40 S&W (and I loaded it to 10 mm OAL)

I have not used Universal in handguns. As a shotgun sub gauge powder its relatively clean.

AA 9, Lil'gun, 2400, (and 296/H110 which you don't mention) are all magnum (slower) powders and might work well in a PCC, but gave me too much flash and mess in handgun loads. But they did give the best velocities...

231 is a mainstay for me with cast lead .45 ACP, but I think its not very good in the 10, too fast a powder, and I got overpressure before getting the velocities I wanted.

I never used much unique. In some .45 LC loads was it, and it was a bit dirty... but supposedly reformulated, so who knows. Would fit well with cast 200 grain bullets, I guess.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I tend to use Power Pistol in most of my loads in the pistols, don't use WAP much anymore as I have less than a pound left. I have a few pounds of H110 but use it mostly in my 45 Colt and 454 Casull loads, never thought about it in the 10mm.
Don't have any Clays but do have some Universal which I have had success with it in the 40 Short & Weak. As far as 231 goes that is all I use in my 45acp's with 200 gr swc.
I think I'll stick with #9 and may try Universal in the 10mm rifle, I'm hoping the longer barrel will cut down on the blast.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran