New
Find
Notify
Tools

120 gr Speer GS .257
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a box of the above and thinking of trying them on deer in a 257 AI at about 2950 fps. I would appreciate any info/opinions on performance on game. Do they hold together? Do you usually get an exit?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
to me, i think the grand slam is a to tuff of a bullet for deer size game. they may not mushroom good. i think the GS is a more of an elk/moose type bullet.. but thats just me.. my $0.02 cents worth

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At that velocity they should work well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brice, which style do you have? Either will work, but the "NEW" GS is just another cup and core bullet, from what I can find out. They have discontinued the soft lead nose and antimonial lead core, double pour bullet they used to offer.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I have a box of the above and thinking of trying them on deer in a 257 AI at about 2950 fps. I would appreciate any info/opinions on performance on game. Do they hold together? Do you usually get an exit?

Have used them on deer, they are a good bullet, got very few exits, only a handfull, but in my experience, not many 1/4 bore bullets exit until range is long, over 300yrds or more.
They definitely hold together, I still have a few boxes made before ATK took over, I don't know how good the newer made ones are.
I like them.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without going to look at them, I suspect they are older style. I've had them for 20 years or so. I've been using 115 TX FB's, but have had occasional accuracy problems, I think due to instability. Where I hunt in MT the temp can drop to 0 or below. The dense air results in more drag, less stability. FYI, I've used JBM Ballistics site and their on-line stability calculator. Quite informative.

The major rifle manufacturers almost all use 10 twist barrels in their 25 calibers. With the new monometal bullets, that should be a 9 twist. Fifty years handloading and there's always more to learn!

Thanks for the help and info.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Brice, which style do you have? Either will work, but the "NEW" GS is just another cup and core bullet, from what I can find out. They have discontinued the soft lead nose and antimonial lead core, double pour bullet they used to offer.

Actually the 25 caliber and under never had the dual core according to my old Speer manual. They should open fine. They have a flat mag tip and are fluted to open at lower speeds. Their only downfall is they are expensive for what they are and they don't have a good BC.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Speer manual I think was printed by Gutenberg. It will be interesting to blow the dust off and see what they say about the GS. Thanks for the tip, Scott.

The cost was sunk 20 years ago, and ICCL about the BC when hunting deer inside 300 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them on Mule deer and whitetail and even on one elk in the 1950s best I recall on the date...The worked well in my Rem 722, and didn't bloodshot as much meat as the lighter constructed bullets did but killed deer well..I liked them, comparable to the same in the Nosler partition, they allow some deer to run up to about 50 yards and kill others on the spot, come to think of it that's about what any bullet does. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on deer or elk..and they work better on going away shots than the lighter bullets..

I judge game bullets by their ability to penetrate the game I'm hunting from end to end. I have no use for explosive bullets that blow up inside and animal, they are impressive most of the time, but those light bullets are a recipe for disaster and long tracking jobs sooner or later...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote