Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody tested the Hornady Interbond?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
say in 308...what kind of pentration, weight retention?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike- there is a poll/discussion on the Interbond over in the Big game reloadin forum ont the 24hourcampfire site. I've only shot a few interbonds (7mm, 139 gr) at paper out of my 7mm RM Sendero, but they did group well- about on par with the 140 gr BT's I normally use....

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I have the same question, but about the 225-grain .338s.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I have used them for three years as well as my entire hunting party, two years ago we took 12 deer last year we took 19 deer and this year we took 10 deer all with interbonds some 150 gr shot from 3006 other 180 shot from 300 WM and WSM if the bullet was placed right the kills were one shot a few were shot full out running the bullet went through good clean hole leaving a clear blood trail, all bullets recovered retained at least 90% of it weight. Most of us handload and push it a little, we all gave the Interbonds an A+ and are using nothing else but them from now on.
Old Timer

May you always be where God can bless you

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
say in 308...what kind of pentration, weight retention?

I used them in Africa in a 300 Win Mag with wonderful results.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike. you have PM

Terry

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can offer info only for the 154gr, 7mm Interbond. They are the same as the other reports, very accurate and great weight retention in the one bullet recovered from three animals shot in the last two seasons.

Last fall, one black wolf, bang flop at 80yds+/-. Bullet was a pass thru on a quartering away shot. One whitetail at 250yd, Buck quartering towards me at 250yds. Bullet went hit just inside the shoulder took out the heart and lungs ands stopped in the small intestine just at the pelvis. It would have been easier if he had realized he was dead but instead did the 40yd death run..... Bullet had 87% weight retention IIRC.

This fall, my wife got her first moose. The first shot at 80yds was the killer but she hit it again just for insurance. It tipped over very fast, my 9,3 never got to help......

All three animals shot with a 7x57. Velocity is 2833 muzzle. I will brag by showing Christy's picture just being so proud of her! LOL Unless asked I will spare you the other two pics.

Use them with confidence! I hope to get a bighorm ram one of these years and you can bet which bullet I will be using.

Hope this helps,
Noel

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 7mm 154grainers on fallow bucks and they work well enough.
This, together with the 162gn A-Max are the only bullets that my 7mm-08 will shoot sub MOA.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
My experience with the Interbond in 308 was not bad, but made me question.Now, the interbonds were flat out deadly accurate, but I have yet to find a bullet this 308 doesnt like. I shot 4 does, all inside 150 yards, through both shoulders, and all ran like hell not leaving a blood trail. Now this bullet apparently did the trick, but it took the nose of my bro's black lab to find them. I shot a 7mm08 a few years back with 140 Nosler BTs and the results were devastating on deer. As long as I caught them in the front shoulder, they folded up like lawn chairs. My somewhat limited knowledge opinion was that this bullet was too tough for my application, so i have decided to switch to hornady's 150gr SST and i have yet to be able to test my hypothesis, but hopefully after this week of college finals.....

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the IB on several deer in my 300 WM. All four deer were shot through both lungs at ranges from 50 yards to 200. All 4 went all the way through with approx 2" exit holes. They were a little too tough for my liking for a deer bullet.

Also shot two elk with it. One at 30 yards (one shot in the head/neck) and one at 200. It worked well in larger animals.

In the .308 I'd definately use the 150. Heavier bullets may not open up as much as you'd like.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken two deer with the 139 grain I-bond out of a 7-08 and one deer with the 154 grain I-bond from a 7mmWSM.

All three shots were complete pass throughs but on broadside or slightly quartering deer so no surprise there. The ironic part is I had killed several deer with several different calibers and bullets but NEVER had a deer drop at the shot until using the I-bonds. All three of the deer shot with these bullets were bang-flop! Could be some luck involved but I think I'll stick with my lucky bullets for a while!

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I witnessed a friend shoot his elk this year with 154gr IB's out of a 280 rem two solid hits behind the shoulder and the elk was still standing.We did get him though with one more shot of my 338-06.
My 7mm RM shot the 139grs well at 3200 FPS but exploded on a deer shoulder joint at 30 yds. I didn't find him for two months. I had expected a long range shot but as usual the buck didn't see it that way.Just my experience judge for yourself.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Rob,

What was the damage and performance on the elk of the IB...meaning what were the wounds.

Same thing what was the damage on the deer you didn't find for two months...did it just run 75 yds dead on its feet and not know it and you never found it?

I know a guy who fired 4 rounds of Nosler 180 patrtitions at a bull elk at 175 yds. He figured he had missed becuase it was windy and the bull had no reaction.

He was empty so he grabbed his wife 7mm-08 and as he went to squeeze the bull collapsed.

Three of his four Nolsers were in the lungs.

Not trying to be a pain...I am just curioes as to what the wounds were.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken 3 mule deer with the 180 gr IB loaded in a 300 WBY. The furthest any deer went might have been 20 yds. I have also tried the 150 IB in a 300 WSM. This might be a match made in heaven. 3 shots @ 200yds are usually one ragged hole.I have taken 5 or 6 whitetails with this rifle and they have all dropped right where they were. I tried the 225 IB in my 340 Wby and was not happy with the groups I got. If I seated the bullet out groups improved considerably but then the overall length was too long to cycle through the magazine. I haven't shot anything with the 225gr 338 cal IB. All bullets have passed through with the exception of one of the 180 gr. An angling shot broke up several ribs on one side went through the lungs and the shoulder on the off side. Bullet was found just inside the hide on the off shoulder and still weighed approx 160 grs. I'm happy with them

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
The deer was torn to pieces after two months so damage could not rated. I had found blood hair and large chunks of bone in the area where I hit him.He had apparently bedded and died. about 150 yds from the shot. I beleive the Elk would have died soon as he was just standing but the guide wanted him down.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Mike, Contacted my friend about the elk. He hit the elk right front breaking his leg and another shot further back near the stomach neither bullet made an exit wound with a 280 Rem and 154 interbond. I hit my elk with a 200 gr accubond in a 338-06 both exited. Both bulls were together at the same distance. I'm not saying the interbond is a bad bullet just giving my experience with them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NoelC:
...I will brag by showing Christy's picture just being so proud of her! LOL Unless asked I will spare you the other two pics.
Hey Noel, There is a significant difference between bragging about a wife( young`un, friend, etc.) than some fool blowharding about himself. Great flick and fine shooting by your wife. Give her a congratulations from me.

Always enjoy seeing a dead wolf if that is one of the other flicks.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Noel,

Bring on the other two pics...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 150gr IB out of my 06 at 308 velocity (worn barrel) Very very accurate and a good blend of expansion and penetration for deer. Pretty much perfect I would say