New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missing decapping pin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought a set of Redding 44 dies on feebay. The decapping pin was missing on the sizer, dummy me I missed that when I opened them, saw it awhile later when I went to use it. Should I try to get a replacement from Redding (some of you guys say their customer service sux) or is there something I can substitute? I was thinking a piece of stiff wire or similar?

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
How close do you live to a gunshop? Most shops carry decapping pins. A few makes of dies require special pins, but most just use a piece of .070-.078" diameter rod (often actually "piano wire").

If you don't live where you can get to a gun shop, I'm sure a call to Redding will solve your problem. Also, if there is a "hobby shop" you can get to which deals in RC cars, gas-engined model airplanes, that sort of stuff, you can usually buy piano wire of the correct dameter there.

As a last resort, you can get a .078" drill bit, break off the shank, smooth the end where it was broken off, and use that shank as a decapping pin. If you have lost the threaded piece which tightens the decapping pin into the decapping rod, you can always use a dab of LocTite or epoxy glue to hold it in place until you get a for-real replacement..

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give Redding a call. You will learn 2 things. Whether their service sux and if they have a replacement part. Report back to this board so we, also, will learn. R. W. Hart & Son Inc. stock Redding parts and lists the pins in bags of 5.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Redding dies all come with an extra pin in the box. If you have trouble getting one, PM me your address and I'll send you one.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redding customer service is first rate.
Ask them for a couple of spares.
While you are waiting you can rob the pin out of another die set unless you are a newby and don't have another die set.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Don't go on what others say. Give Redding a call or drop them a note. You may be pleasantly surprised at their customer service.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are in the market for a Lee Universal Decapping Die.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys, I've been out of town for a couple days, I will contact Redding and let you all know what they say.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote