Find
Notify
Tools

Need 300 Weatherby Magnum Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm in need of advice.
A friend of mine has a 300 Weatherby Magnum that he quit shooting a few years ago due to the heavy recoil of factory loaded ammo. He was shooting 180 grain bullet ammo. He doesn't reload.
Yesterday I suggested to him that we could down load some ammo so he could start using the rifle again. His 300 has been sitting in a closet collecting dust. He said, sure, let's try it. I suggested initially that we try some 165 grain hunting bullets, at minimum powder charges and let him shoot the rifle to check out recoil. He hunts Deer, Black Bear, and Elk.
I have zero experience with the 300 Weatherby, so if someone could recommend powder and bullet combinations that would reduce the recoil, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Don

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
One load I have seen was using H4350 and 165 grain bullets. The starting load was 75.5 grains at a velocity of 3100. That's a minimum load and not a reduced load. You might look through you favorite manuals and find whichever powder they used at minimum that went the slowest with the least amount of powder. The IMR/Hodgden data center has a pretty good listing of loads starting down in the high 50s for the 165 grain bullets.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any load data for 165 gr. bullets in .300 Wby because mine (Win Mod 70) wouldn't stabilize the 165 gr bullets. With 180's it's a tack-driver.

I shared that just in case you had accuracy issues.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thnk you both for the info. I appreciate it.
I'll do some research to see what powder loads in the 50's turn up.
We may well have to go with 180 grain bullets with a lighter powder charge, if the 165's don't shoot. I have some 165's on the shelf we can try initially to see if they stabilize in his rifle.
I'm also thinking a very slow burning powder may drop the pressure curve peak down some, and lengthen out the burning time to provide the needed velocity. I just don't know what powder the factory loads he shot used. I did go to the Federal web site and looked at the 180 grain load for premium bullets, which he was using, and it listed a load with the 180 grain bullet that had a muzzle velocity of 3100 fps. I guess that's about par for the course with a 180 in a 300 Weatherby?? Don't know.
I told him I'd like to get a load that was around 2800-2900 fps to see if he got kicked in the shoulder less. And, If I could get an accurate load at that velocity with a good 165 hunting bullet, I think the recoil would be reduced about 25%.
The guy just put a roof on my house and is a real good guy. He's put the 300 aside in favor of a 7mm Rem Mag, and I ginned up some of those loads for him using 160 gr Partitions to see how they work in his rifle.

Just rambling here... Big Grin

Thanks again,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to try putting a recoil reducing device into the butt stock or even adding a muzzle brake (increased muzzle noise). My son has a 375 H&H mag and we did both. I have fired that rifle lying down in a rubber boat---very pleasant to fire now. Have a great day.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RD,

Thanks for the advice.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best way to reduce recoil is to use starting loads but to reduce the bullet weight.

Try the TTSX 130 grain for deer.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rolltop,

Thanks.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Just looking at some loads for both the 180 and 165 grain bullets I found a load that approximated what the factory ammo you mentioned was. A 180 grain bullet at 3100 fps in a 9.25 lb rifle had a recoil of 33 lbs. Using some data for the 165 grain bullet at 2950 fps the recoil dropped to 23 lbs. That's a significant drop putting it in the neighborhood of a light '06 with 180 grain bullets or probably even his 7mm Mag.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The same load works with 168 gr. Berger VLD bullets which is what I use for hunting.

As far as recoil is concerned; if you shoot a lighter bullet, recoil will be less. The best accuracy probably won't be with lightest load.

My advice for the recoil sensitive would be to sell the rifle and get one with less recoil or, as mentioned above, use some recoil softening device such as a recoil reducer in the stock or a muzzle brake.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen for the info.
I'm saving everything here to my hard drive and when I get the brass in a day or two, I'll do some loading. The dies came in the mail today.
I like that reduction from 33 to 23. That's significant!!

Don

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
125 grain Ballistic tip loaded light would be low recoil. Would do some meat damage at high speed though.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
125 grain Ballistic tip loaded light would be low recoil. Would do some meat damage at high speed though.

Tyler,

Thanks.
I shoot those 125's in my 300 Savage, and they shoot well. I have some and will try them in the 300 Wby.

Don Buckbee