New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Action .284 Load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a load for my short action .284. The magazine box measures 2.834 at its shortest point. So I'm thinking 2.75 is a good overall length. That OAL doesn't allow for much of the bullet to be above the case. The 140 Barnes XLC extends below the bottom of the case shoulder. The 120 gr. is about .10 inch shorter.

The rifle is being rechambered from a 7mm/08 so I will provide a dummy case to the smith for chambering. The free bore will be machined to fit my load.

Have any of you addressed this problem already? Rick

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Boise, take a look @ the Speer 145gr Grand Slam. It has a very short OAL due to it's flattened point & gradual ogive. I was thinking of putting a mountain rifle together on a short action & was also looking for the shortest OAL bullets to feed it. I ended up w/ a .280, but I love it.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seat my .284 Win loads to 2.80? +/- .005?. With current factory ammo I measure approximately 2.78?. I still have a half dozen rounds with 140gr Barnes X, but I have settled on Hornady 154gr SPFB for this round. I had tried Speer 160gr Mag Tips as well. When I got the velocity I was seeking with the 160grs I was also getting pressure signs with it. There?s nothing wrong with the 145gr Grand Slam mentioned earlier, I recommend them as well. I load them in my 7-08, but I want to use a heavier/longer bullet for this .284. Winchester Model 100.

Why would your smith want to change the throat length from what it already is if you won?t be able to seat your bullets out any further? [Confused] I could understand lengthening it if the magazine allowed for shallower seating depths, longer COAL. If he?s going to shorten it, then he?s going to shorten the barrel length at least that much too.

I curious which make and model rifle are you having rechambered?. I?m also a little envious too. I want to rechamber a bolt action for it, either a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker or a Remington 700 DM Stainless. Maybe someday if I ever get the discretionary funds.

I haven?t looked at a Remington detachable magazines but I am familiar with Browning?s 7-08 box magazine. I took a jewelers file and filed grooves in the forward end of my magazines, in line with the bullet tip positions. This allowed me to extend my COAL by .02?. It made a big difference in accuracy and have never experienced any problems chambering. I have the free bore for 140gr Rem PSPCL?s and 145gr Grand Slams set at .02? for the 7-08. The Win 100 has such a long throat that it?s impossible to seat bullets close to it and still load them in the magazine, that being the significant reason I use heavier/longer bullets for it.

Hope this helps. [Smile]
Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentleman, thank you for the replies. The rifle in question is a Model 700 Titanium that was purchased, last week, in 7mm/08. You are correct that the free bore will most likely not be changed but I do have the option of unscrewing the barrel, facing it off, and moving the rifling back to the point where my specific load will be just off rifling engagement.

I stuffed a dummy round with a 140 Barnes X set at 2.75 OAL and it appeared the bullet not longer had full neck engagement, the bullet was too deep. But it only looked about .02 too deep. I will need to look at this a lot closer but got interrupted right in the middle of the process last night.

I have never used the Grand Slam and the bullet profile looks to be what want BUT it isn't truly a premium bullet like Barnes, Swift, Nosler partitions, Bear Claw, etc. I prefer to go with a bullet that will stay together better since the rifle will also be used for elk.

Is there anyone out there that has a short action chambered in .284 and are willing to say which bullet they are using?

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 600 chambered in 284, and I use the 140 gr Nosler Partitions, 140 gr X, and the 154 gr Hornadies. However, I've also modified my magazine box, stock, and receiver to allow 3.0" COL, so I don't think my loads will do you any good. Sorry. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Boise, you may be right on the GS for elk size game. I recently wet phone book tested various 160gr bullets in my .280 @ 2750fps impact. The GS did well, but only a bit better in penetration than their HotCOre.
Nolser Par. 19"/116gr
Speer GS 16.5"/102gr
Speer HotCore 15.5"/99gr

IF you kept the distance over 100yds I think you would be fine, under that, broadside shots only.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Boise, I wouldn't worry about changing the location of the start of the lands until you shoot the rifle with the round seated to fit the magazine box. I have loaded for a 25/284 and a 6.5/284 both are more than 50thou off the lands and both shoot nice tight cloverleafs. You don't necessarily have to be close to the lands for good accuracy.Rick.

Posts: 8 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 28 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the Swift A-frame bullet. A premium bullet that's shorter and extremely accurate. At least that's what I settled on for my old Ruger M77 .284.

Posts: 53 | Location: Olympia, WA, USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote