New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quiet load for 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a quiet load(if there is such a thing) for my Sako A1 22.5" barrel. Any recomendations?

Posts: 325 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a red dot load could be carefully worked down to 1000 fps and be probably as quiet as is possible.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would work with two powders AA #5 and unique. I havent tried them in 223 but they work in 30n 30s and 30 06 . Well I have tried unique in3006 but havent tried AA#5. Be careful and check barrel to make sure bullet isnt lodged in it!!

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lead ball and just the primer will be the quietest.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try a chamber insert from http://mcace.com/ just to see if it meets your needs. Might, might not. If it doesn't you can always go the gallery load handloading route and sell the insert at your next gun show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your favorite 50 to 52gr bullet with 13.5gr Bluedot.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
My walking varminter load for this season is 10 grains of Blue Dot and a 40 grainer....

MV is in the 2800 fps range...

after shooting even a 22.250, it feels like shooting a spitball gun...

I czn imaging how silent this would be if shot with a Silencer or Moderator on the end of the barrel..where it is legal, like in Europe or down in Oz and NZ...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Wink 50gr TNT, Speer, 8.2 gr SR 7625, low recoil, rather quite, 2050 fps. 1/4" 3 shot group @ 50 yds.cool barrel.

Had good results with 40gr Bergers and 6.8 gr. SR 7625.

"""This is a fast burning powder and great care must be exercised when reloading!!!""" BOOMroger lefty

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote