New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Light Magnums in a BAR ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried to shoot hornady light magnums in a Bar 30-06 ?I saw on another forum where a guy says he uses them in a Rem. 742 ! I think the BAR is a stronger design. But, has anyone actually tried it and how did they perform, especially the 150 grain. Also is the hornady 150 a decent bullet for deer ? How about accuracy ? After failing to kill that big buck last week (still looking)I'm going to resight and try every thing in my Bar to get the range power and accuracy(although that hasn't been a problem with this rifle) to get the Max PBR for sure hits to 300 yds.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The Hornady light magnums are loaded to the very same saami specs and pressures as any .270 ammo made in the US...there's no reason you should not try it. Only you can determine if your gun shoots it well.......I can attest to the 150 grain interlocks because I use them in my .270.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote from Hornady's website: Not recommended for semi-auto/gas-operated firearms. Use only in firearms in good condition.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I'v also asked Browning about this last year. They said that the pressure curve is different for the light magnum loads than standard loads and may damage the gas system. Since both the manufacturer of the ammunition and the rifle agree on this I would stay away from them.

I shoot 2 BAR's and can't see taking the risk, trade for a 300 Mag or 7mm Mag if you need a little more velocity.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The question of whether or not such ammo is suitable or not in a particular kind of rifle is not determined by the STRENGTH of the action so much as it is by the "speed" of the powder! These "light magnums" etc., achieve their performance levels by using very large charges of slow-burtning powder, not by higher pressures!

What damages some semi-autos when such ammo is used is the higher pressures at the gas port when the bullet passes by, rather than higher overall maximum pressures. If the gas port pressure is too high for a particular design, the gun is operated too violently, and can be damaged. It is probably NOT too dangerous to the shooter, but can break some parts sooner or later.

What does Browning say about using this ammo in a BAR?? If they recommend against it, I would not do it.

[ 12-08-2003, 20:13: Message edited by: eldeguello ]