Find
Notify
Tools

Some loading info Plus
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
waveThere is and have been lately a Number of threads about the .270 , reduced loading, and velocities at or around 2400 fps.. I compound all this good stuff in my mind with the fact that at one time the 6.5 Carcano was my go to mountain deer rifle. shockerIt is doubtful that I ever loaded the Carcano over 2200 fps. with any bullet.
I've loaded some with the .270 but not much. My data shows I did some reduced load testing at one time so why not go there again? popcorn

#0once fired Prvi cases were Bardahl lubed and the process started. The unsized cases were chambered easily into a std. Stevens Mod. 200.
Two or three cases were 3/4 neck sized and really were hard the get out of the Lee die. after being chambered the bolt almost had to be hammered closed.???? Confused??.
The cases exhibited severe burnishing at the head and shoulder body junction.
Roll EyesAt this point I did the same to some once fired Norma cases with the same result.
The diametral appearance at the shoulder body junction seem to rule out case stretching as the cases were pull over the ID neck sizing button. Graciously lubed the neck IDs any why. Neck tension proved not to be the culprit.
Roll EyesTrimmed a couple cases to .025" under max. length. Not the problem!!!
Afraid to get cases stuck I again lubed the cases in and out and sized as before rather than FL.
coffeeRelubed the exterior and adjusted the die so it was touching the shell holder with a case in it to allow for the deflection of my 56 year old Holly Wood Senior. No stuck cases and they all chambered nicely in the rifle. With the IDs still lubed I trimmed all the cases to 3.525" and inside and outside chamfered , boiled all in soupy water , rinsed thoroughly and dried in 325 degree oven for an hour.
oldWhat was interesting to me was that partial sizing, only visible on the body web area could move enough brass up to make the body shoulder junction bind like it did in the rifle.
Roll EyesI'm convinced that had I try to FL size them in the beginning the cases would have gotten stuck .
coffee All cases were primed with #34 primers. The bullet used on all was the 130 grain psp by Speer. The AOL=3.300"
1. 28.2 grains 2400, 2137 to 2155 fps. 3 shot 3/4" group at 50 yds. Great at 200yds. clean burning .11 rounds in 25 min. got the barrel hot.
2. 37.4 grains acc2015. 2345 to 2426 fps. 3 shot 1" group at 50. primer a little flat?. clean burning.
3. 32.2 grains IMR 4198, 23 24 to 23 76 fps. 3 shot 1/2" group at 50 yds. Great at 200 yds.
old The recoil was mild. The performance would have made these loads totally adequate for mule deer as they are a step above that of the Carcano which I used with success as a young man.
The accuracy would have been better had I been using a better scope. This was a foggy 4 power.

Hope someone finds this useful beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche, I find this very thought provoking... almost all of us try to squeeze the very last fps out of our rifles, when doing so is hard on brass, barrels, and has the potential for devastating results if we screw up.

What you have done here is, at least in my mind, suggest a way to get infinite life out of our brass, rifles, and save money on components at the same time. Realistically speaking, how many of the animals we take are shot at distances of over 200 yards? Not many, I would bet.

Thanks for the work!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI've never been a proponent of the .270. Can't really say why. With an adjusted thought process and taking the blinders off it is now evident that with a little smarts and some creative custom loading the .270 would make a fine child's starter for deer and serve well into old . For the lower 48 it certainly fills the bill for versatility. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote