New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 WSSM with Vihtavuori
 Login/Join

posted
Hi there,

Is there anyone here reloading for the .223 wssm caliber ?
I would like to start reloading for my .223 WSSM rifle, but I can only use vihtavuori powders and they haven't released any reload data yet. I've mailed them, but them have no idea when their loading data will be available.

Anyone here who can give me some hints ? will N140 powder work well ?

the gun is a winchester model 70, 24", 1 in 10" twistrate

Thanks in advance

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Boris, welcome to the forum.

I ran the 223 WSSM through Quickload. With the 69 gr. Lapua HPBT (I assumed that bullet would be available), Quickload predicts

VV560 48.7 grains of at 3510 fps.
Vihtavuori N165 48.4 / 3389
Vihtavuori N160 46.5 / 3372
Vihtavuori N170 50.7 / 3261

For the Lapua 55 gr. sp:

Vihtavuori N560 51.4 / 3841
Vihtavuori N165 50.8 / 3715
Vihtavuori N160 49.1 / 3691
Vihtavuori N170 51.1 / 3318

These are all maximum predicted loads. The usual precautions apply (start low and work up).

Also, visit WSSMzone.com for more information.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks !
you couldn't fing a load for a Speer 52gn bullet by any chance (got some of these for my .223Rem)?
if possible with N140 (have tons of that stuff, for my .30/30, would save a lot in price)

WSSMzone.com looks like a great site indeed, thanks. I think i'll adjust the N540 load (relatively close to N140 in "quickness") and work up from there

Boris Barowski
from Belgium

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Whoa, that is 560, not 540! 140 would be fairly fast burning for the WSSM. Plus, the WSSM seems to like the heavier bullets better.

Anyway, for N140 and the 52 Speer Flatbase, Quickbooks suggests a maximum around 42 grains, for a velocity of 3775 fps, 90% cartrige loading density, 58,000 PSI /4,000 Bar.

Can't you get the Clermont PCL ball powders? I've had good luck with the powders they sell here. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
well, wichester loading tables give loads with WW 760 powder.

I've learned that 760 roughly equals N540, and N140 is just slightly faster.

Haven't seen Clermont here yet, most powder is Accurate (getting quite expensive) or Vihtavuori (in huge quantities)

thanks for info, it will be used with caution as always

Boris

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it would be worth a call to the Clermont (I think I spelled that right?) boys, to see if they have dealers in your area? I've talked to Belgian reloaders that said they have had good access to it (since it is made in Belgium).

Anyway, good luck. HTH, Dutch.

posted Hide Post
yep, looked it up and they do sell it here Smiler

btw, anyone an idea how many times I can reload winchester brass ?

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I use a lot of their powder (it's sold in the US under the "Ramshot" name). Very good stuff!

As far as reloading Winchester brass, in the WSSM it depends on your throat dimensions. I've got some I've reloaded about six times. However, the factory throat has about .009 to 0.011" clearance, and that will limit your case life, to perhaps three or four shots, as hard as the Win necks are.

Unless you anneal. Then you can make the cases last "forever". HTH, Dutch.