New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading 44 mag with 44 russIn dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hey guys im starting to load for my 44 mag, I already have 44 Russian dies. just wondering if I can use my Russian dies or or I have to buy mag dies thanks

Posts: 55 | Location: southern il | Registered: 05 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi! In fact either 44 Special (or by extension 44 Russian) are usually what MOST reloaders I know use if they have a 44 Magnum.

This is because you can neck expand, bullet seat and bullet crimp on a die made for a shorter cartridge on any identical cartridge that has the same dimensions except that its case OAL is longer. Provided you back them out the required extra distance.

Think using 38 Special dies being used to reload 357 Magnum.

The ONLY question is when it comes to full length sizing in respect of whose make of die it is.

In that on most such FL Sizer Dies (steel or carbide) there will be nothing above the parallel sizing portion to interfere with the top of a longer case.

So there is no worry about the top of the case running into any lesser diameter section of the die above the sizing portion of it.

With MODERN RCBS and Lyman dies you'll be fine. In fact some dies by RCBS and Lyman are marked 44 Spec/44 Magnum and come with a spacer ring so that they can be set up for 44 Special and then by use of the spacer ring load 44 Magnum without having to re-set the die body locking nut.

However OLDER (think thirty years ago plus) RCBS dies had a decapper-expander plug that was one piece. It decapped and expander on the EXPANDER DIE not decapping as a separate operation on the FL Sizer Die so these in 44 Spec couldn't be used for 44 Magnum cases unless a new one piece plug of correct length was purchased.

I doubt unless you dies are thirty year old RCBS with that this will be an issue...as all MODERN dies now decap at the first, FL SIZE, stage.

But yes, you should be OK as long as you re-set the die "higher" to expand the case and seat and crimp the bullet.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You just need to setup the die higher up in the press. Do not screw down until it reach the shellholder. It would be trail and error first, but try to mark the die with a marker when it touches the shell holder. Then turn it out and count the turns. Then size your first case and inspect it. Repeat until it is right.