New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridge Genealogy Poster?
 Login/Join

Picture of Coal Miner
posted
Im trying to find a poster that has the genealogy (for lack of a better word) of modern day cartridges. Ya know, something that would show the hierarchy of modern day cases. Like how the modern 7mm RUM/.375 RUM/.300 RUM/.338 RUM originated from the .404 Jeffery (for example). That would be sweet! Can you also think of any poster that SHOULD be on every reloaders wall? Ive already taken that .308 min/max diagram that tailgunner posted and laminated/blew it up. It now has a special place on my wall Smiler! Thanks again tailgunner!

The following is a super slow motion video of a round leaving the muzzle of my AR!!!

Congress has recently stumbled across an area of significant savings. They have found that they no longer have to use tax payers’ dollars to receive a colonoscopy. They’ve found that all they have to do is open their eyes and look around.

Posts: 20 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 14 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im trying to find a poster that has the genealogy (for lack of a better word) of modern day cartridges.

I really like this idea.

I can think of other posters that are desirable to have, but I'll leave that to the imagination Smiler

Posts: 39 | Location: Lynden, Washington | Registered: 27 December 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Coal Miner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crashbox:
quote:
Im trying to find a poster that has the genealogy (for lack of a better word) of modern day cartridges.

I really like this idea.

I can think of other posters that are desirable to have, but I'll leave that to the imagination Smiler

Bwahaha! I’ve always found posters with things in the shape of cartridges and old COKE bottles to be quite desirable! Eeker

The following is a super slow motion video of a round leaving the muzzle of my AR!!!

Congress has recently stumbled across an area of significant savings. They have found that they no longer have to use tax payers’ dollars to receive a colonoscopy. They’ve found that all they have to do is open their eyes and look around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess you could start with a percussion cap and work up.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Have to be a big poster! And imagine all of the arguments it would cause among gun affectionados.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No posters that I know of, but if you head to St Louis,MO the 3 days before Easter you can build just about any family you want (assuming you bring enough folding green with you). That's when the largest cartridge collector show in the world takes place

You will find that 2 cartridges are the forefathers of most of what we know today, the 8x57 Mauser (from it descended everything rimless with a .473 rim) and 400-375 Nitro, the first of the belted cartridges. Although it could easily be argued that it's "offspring" the 300 & 375H&H Mags sired almost all today's belted cases (the 400-375 has a smaller rim).

The link I provided on your other thread will take you to many other SAMMI drawings BTW

These guys are all related/descended from the 38-55 Winchester

These guys are NOT related, even if the outside 2 are rimfires (the "big" one is a 22 Short)

The 50BMG on the right fathered the other 2 (460 Steyr and 416 Barrett)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Coal Miner
posted Hide Post
Shortly after you posted that diagram I went to the SAAMI web page and downloaded the ANSI/SAAMI center-fire rifle PDF, and have been reading through it ever since! GOOD stuff!
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
The link I provided on your other thread will take you to many other SAMMI drawings BTW

one of us
posted Hide Post
Always view SAAMI and CIP documents with a grain or three of salt. Having said that, both websites are fascinating.

I saw some fascinating pictures showing target cartridge development over on 6mmbr.com. Talk about minuscule changes for real or perceived advantages.

I have also found that almost everything we do here in the US was already done forty to 100 years earlier in England, Germany or Austria.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Looks like the .50 BMG on the LEFT...

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Looks like the .50 BMG on the LEFT...
-
Dyslexia (mine) LOL.
You are correct.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Have to be a big poster! And imagine all of the arguments it would cause among gun affectionados.

I stared a genealogy chart for the humble .222Rem case & its family of commercial & wildcat offspring with the same headsize.
It got pretty big pretty quick .
A poster of all the armaments genealogy would be really huge.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it wouldn't be a poster it would be wall paper.
the real kind not the computer kind.

you would have to reverse the tree on the 223 remington, as it wasn't first.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote