Find
Notify
Tools

question on Alliant Unique
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted
Although it's listed in the table of burning rates right next to AA #5, none of the reloading guides show a load for the .40 S&W pistol. In fact, there isn't any data for .357 mag w/158 gr. jacketed either, just the cast bullet loads.

If the burning rate is close to AA #5, shouldn't it be a suitable powder those applications?

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Speer #12 lists it for both calibers. What bullet weights?

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot Unique in a 40 S&W. It is not the cleanest powder, but not bad.

I also shoot Unique in a .357 with jacketed 158 bullets for mid-range (7.5 gr) - to light (7.0 gr) loads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Straight from the Alliant (who makes Unique) online data:

For 155 gr Speer GDHP: 1.12OAL 4 CCI 500 Unique 8grains 1,207

For 165 gr Speer GDHP: 1.12OAL 4 CCI 500 Unique 7.2grains 1,064

For180 gr Speer GDHP: 1.12OAL 4 CCI 500 Unique 6.7grains 1,000

Here's the link

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

posted Hide Post
Does well with 155 and 165 grain bullets in my 40 S&W. Check several data sources and work up. Check the bullet manufacturers data first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look a bit there should be data out there for Unique & most handgun cartridges. Some manuals seem to omit just to save space.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go-to pistol powder....due to its usefulness in many different calibers. It is a bit dirty, even though they claim a "new, cleaner formula" on my latest can...

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Universal is very close to it and is quite a bit cleaner sometimes

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can say about Universal is it's cleaner, that's it. I lost accuracy using Universal. I won't buy anymore of it. Too many people make Unique sound like it's dirty as black powder and it's not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
The only thing I can say about Universal is it's cleaner, that's it. I lost accuracy using Universal. I won't buy anymore of it. Too many people make Unique sound like it's dirty as black powder and it's not.

Were did the clean gun fetish come from?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What? Lots of data for the 40 and Unique!

I personally shoot 165 grain Montana golds with 6.4 grains of Unique out of a G23- awesome accurate.

Sierra load 5.2 @ 850FPS to 7.0gr @ 1150FPS
Speer load 6.2 @ 882FPS to 7.2 @ 1064FPS
Alliant load ------------ 7.2 @ 1064FPS
Lyman shows 5.4 @ 952FPS to 6.0 @1034FPS

Lots of loads for 158 gr bullet and 357Mag with Unique but why use it?
“Save unique for the 38 special loads in your 357”
Try H110, 296 or 2400 for full power loads in 357
(Hey it is a 357).
Wink

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What he said.
I have been using Unique since 69 and use it for several calibers; only thing is with older lots, it is like shooting black powder. Cool for cowboy shooting. Newer made powder seems to be much cleaner burning and less smoke.

Posts: 17296 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the answers here. I was looking atb 180 gr. bullets.

My fourth edition Hornady guide was the one I was referring to. I didn't think to check Alliant. On that note, I'd be surprised if they didn't list anything for those calibers using heavier, jacketed slugs.

Thanks again.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:

Were did the clean gun fetish come from?

I've never understood that either, people complaining aobut a propellant being "dirty"
when you are going to clean the firearm anyway.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote