New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting the aim right
 Login/Join

<danev2>
posted
One more question, not really related to reloading but close. I have a pistol that shoots 2 inch low and 2 inch to the right of aim, at 25 feet. I don't have a nice fully adjustible rear sight. it just has windage. So to make the gun shoot more to the left and higher. I should move the rear sight to the right and should I file down the front sight?

Yes I do plan on getting new sights for it, but it will have to wait a little while till I have $$.

Thanks
D

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey D, I'd personally go slow on "filing" the front sight - at first.

Sometimes just a slight change in the grip will correct the lateral Point of Impact.

And, using a slightly heavier bullet "should" cause the Point of Impact to rise.

A different Powder might shift the Point of Impact entirely to a different quadrant.

But, if all else fails, then it would be time to consider the File. Even then, only a stroke or two at a time. And, barrels can be twisted in the frame slightly if the POI remains to one side for a multitude of Loads, but I'd do it as a last resort.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Well, it depends on what the gun is, and what you use it for.

If it is a defensive gun, then if it is used for that purpose, it will probably be used at less than 12 feet...and that margin makes no difference, unless you wanna play Lone Ranger or Roy Rogers, and just shoot the gun out of your assailant's hand...

If it is just a plinker...adjust your grip and firing technique...

If you are serious about bulls eye (but with non-adjustable sights, I doubt you are), hae a good gunsmith tune it with your favorite loads...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<TimB99>
posted
Move the rear sight the direction you want to move the bullet strike. If the bullet strike is right, and you want the bullet strike to move to the left, move the sight to the left.

Tim

<danev2>
posted
OK
move the rear sight left.
What the gun is, A coonan 357 semi auto.
What I use it for primarliy target shooting and lately mostly for bowling pin shooting competitions here in Utah. And for that the 2 inch error is costing me points.
I have one load exclusively for the gun, given to me by Dan Coonan. 158gr lead or jacketed RN with 10.0 grain AA #7.
I want the gun to shoot straight on and a little high of point of aim.

D