THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How best to speed up my slow 9.3x62 with VV powders.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How best to speed up my slow 9.3x62 with VV powders.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm starting to tie myself in knots. All I want to do is to try and get approximately factory velocities with Noslers 286gr partition in my 24" Walther barrelled 1909 Argentine actioned 9.3x62. I would like to do it with VV of which I have a lot and dare I say seems right to use a Scandinavian powder in this cartridge.

Nosler tested but did not print 56gr of VVN140 to get 2342fps (barrel length not printed)

Using RWS cases, fed mag match primers and 55gr of VVN140 (compressed load but no drop tube) with the partitions seated to the cannelure, I can get 2170 (with very low SD).

These velocities are at 60fahrenheit, at the freezing temperatures they are likely to be used at I will be using a 9.3x57.... no real problem but it seems a bit of a waste.

I did try 56gr but forgot the chrono.
There is no way I can fit more than 57gr of VVN140 in RWS cases, even if it's advisable. The LAPUA cases I have are more roomy and have more neck tension so there is greater scope for greater amounts of powder if it's advisable. Finn Aargard went to 59gr of VVN140 in his long throated 9.3x62 in the same RWS cases. My rifle offers a jump of about .2inches to the lands when at the cannelure.

The barrel is not necessarily slow. It's yielding the same velocities as the last one(with the same reamer). 59gr of VVN135 gives 2630fps with a 232gr Norma Vulkan bullet COL 3.1"

Maybe I'm running higher pressure with this load and just have a slower lot of VVN140. (Note SAKO factory using the same bullet and 55.6gr VVN140 claims about 2,350fps.)

Nosler list a 52.5gr load of N135 giving 2293fps which I could try allthough N135 does seem slow with this weight bullet.

I'm wary of manual pressure signs. Primers seem to flatten/not flatten at whim, maybe due to new cases and the headspace problems they bring. The RWS cases with the Norma load do show very little carbon on the necks and only at the very end which worried me a touch but the chrono velocities were remarkably consistent and there was no excessive recoil or even suggestion of sticky bolt lift.

Help would be appreciated, RL15 is not an option, I'll go to Swift 250gr before that - in fact I might anyhow.

A somewhat muddled '1894' who is starting to rue the day he ever started this past time.

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 10-22-2001).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried VV 550 ? It should work great in the 9.3 with heavy bullets .

[This message has been edited by sdgunslinger (edited 10-22-2001).]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I toyed with it in my last barrel. Some muzzle flash (this load will have to double for boar at night) and I'm not sure going to a slower powder still will help if I can't fit enough N140 in to get the reccomended velocities.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't understand why you are having trouble getting some more powder in the case . I can easily use 60 gr of RL 15 in my .35 Whelen , and you have a slightly bigger case to work with .

I'd guess you have a bit of a large chamber and a long throat . Your low velocity likely indicates low pressure as well . You may want to lenghten the magazine box some so you can seat those bullets out a ways more .

[This message has been edited by sdgunslinger (edited 10-22-2001).]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 68 grs of VV-N550 in my FN Mauser with the 250 gr Barnes X (about the same length as the 286 Partition, I believe) at 3.330" OAL. The load is compressed, accurate and pretty darn fast. The N550 powder is pretty dense and works well in the 338-06 and the 35 Whelen as well.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i've had trouble getting 270 grainers up to reloading book standards. I've actually loaded a full grain more,crunching even more powder into the case, and the result was barely worth mentioning...

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More powder; more barrel!

Seriously, what powders are available to you. It is hard to give you advice when we don't know what you can lay your hands on. I'd be glad to share reloading info with you (I am reloading for a 24" barrel 9.3x62 also), but it does you no good to get info on powders you cannot obtain.

I have had good success with both vel and acc using 4895 in large quantities. I don't know about muzzle flash because we cannot shoot on our range at night. 4895 is faster than some of the powders mentioned by others. 4895 has performed well from the 286 bullets down to the 250 gr bullets. I get 2500fps from 270gr Speers. I have not fully wrung out the 250 BT's yet.

Start at about 56grs of 4895, and work up. I use H4895, but I have been told that there is no difference between Hodgdon and IMR 4895, but I have not tested this statement. If you get IMR, I'd follow the recommendations of the maker for a starting load.

As mentioned in another post, my loads are very hot compared to published data reflecting an operating pressure around 57,000psi. This is greater than the accepted European standard which is adjusted down for the sake of some old Swedish Mausers chambered in this cartridge. Hope that this helps you some. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help everyone. I went back through my notes. I think I have a combination of large chamber (as the Redding full length die works the brass hard above the web, the expansion above the web is quite visible) and a slow lot of N140. Coincidentaly when I started the new can of N140 a while back, I was also starting back through the brass. I put the drop in trajectory down to the extra volume in the case, now I think the powder batch might have been slow aswell.

I'm going to work back up using LAPUA brass and see where I can get to with up to 58gr N140. If that fails then I'll try with N135 and if that fails I'll go and buy some powder such as 4895 or RL15.

I just have this thing about double base powders such as RL15, N550 etc besides which they are not greatly faster according to the Nosler book. I also want to remain at no more than 50kpsi. I'll let you know how I get on.

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 10-23-2001).]

<AKI>
posted
1894. Try N540. I managed to get 2460fps last week with 60.0gr and the lapua Mega 286gr bullet, Sako and Lapua cases WLR primers. No signs of excessive pressure _in MY_ 23" barrel. I got 2756fps with many grs of N540 and Norma Oryx 251gr. One shot only, pulled the rest. N540 is very clean. Cases are almost cleaner afterwards. 9,3x57 have killed many a moose, so x57 ballistics are adequate for the job. AKI

one of us
posted Hide Post
RL-15 is the answer to your problems if it is available to you..Try 58 to 60 grs.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote