THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How many times can you reload 300 winchester brass

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many times can you reload 300 winchester brass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted
how many times can you reload the brass before it gets dangerous

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
It depends upon a number of things. The primary one is how close the shoulder dimension is to the new cases that you start with. Then comes the dilema of needing to full length size or not and if your FL die is overworking the base of the case or if you are setting the shoulder back more than necessary.

You should make a feeler gage from a piece of coat hangar wire. Bend the end of it into a tiny 90 degree angle and file it to a edge. Then reach inside of every case to feel for insipiant head separations. It's a burden us "magnum" shooters have to deal with. This is also a good idea for reloading guns with rear locking lugs.

I have never seen this problem with a 30/06 in a normal bolt rifle.

I put the case that feels bad in the band saw and cut it in half. This gives a bench mark as to how far you can go. I also prick punch the belt each time I reload them to see how much case life I am getting out of that rifle.

As it says in the Precision Shooting loading manual these belted cases were "designed" by a firm that would have to look "handloading" up in a dictonary to know what it means.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Good advice from Don Martin.

You'll get anywhere from 3 or 4 reloads if you full size each time, up to 10 or 12 if you size only setting the shoulder back to just enable you to chamber without resistance. With a means to measure the setback of the shoulder, set back .001" to .002" and you'll get 10 reloads maybe. It would also depend on annealing the necks at about the fifth reload.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Many factors determine brass life and your reloading and shooting practices will show in the life of your brass. FL resized cases shooting maximum loads will fail much sooner than Neck Sized moderate to medium loads. In most all cases the neck of the case will fail and split. It is impossible to predict just how many rounds your brass will last. If you exibit proper reloading practices and neck size only you may get from 8 to 15 loadings from one well cared for case firing moderate loads. Some cartridges by their design will fail sooner than others. A good example would be the little 22 Hornet case. The thin wall of the brass will not stand many loadings. Cases like the 6PPC using Laupa Brass are extremely strong brass and will last many loadings before they fail.