New
Find
Notify
Tools

new brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i just bought a bag of win 22-250 brass, reloade them with my favorite load that has shot 0.750" groups of 5 @100yrds and now im luckey if they will shoot 1.500" could this be because of the brand new brass???????

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
i reload new 243win brass (win brand) as it comes right out of the box. After testing a few to see if they will chamber. The accuracy is always better after the fired brass is fl resized. It could be your brass or many other things. Keep a loading log, so when accuracy changes you can go back and see what is different. If the only thing changed is the brass, then its the brass. Fire and reload the new brass,see if it makes a difference.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've loaded 'em as they came out of the bag and FL resized. Can't tell any difference. But after the first firing I neck size 'em with a Lee collet die and they always shoot a little better. I FL size 'em again when they get too snug chambering.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From .075" to 1.5" is an awfully large difference. I doubt you'll see that much deterioration because you are using new (vs fired) brass. Something else amiss??

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely something else with that big of a difference, but I bought some 22-250 brass RP headstamp 4 years ago and bought some recently also. The 2 different lots had different looking headstamps and the case capacity of the 2 were slightly different. One shot better than the other. Seating depth and powder lot etc has not changed has it?

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd definitley say the brass could be your problem.Weigh your new brass and compare it to the weight of your old brass.Different brands and even different lots of brass within the same same manufacterer can vary substantially.
Dave

Posts: 74 | Location: Nanaimo,BC,Canada | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no, powder lot or seating depth has not changed, i will measure the weight of the old and compare it to the new??? still stumped

one of us
posted Hide Post
You stated that you Neck size your old cases but did you Trim them to length? A mild load can turn hot if the cases are over maximum trim length and prduce more pressure. Now you have new cases the load may have reverted back to a mild load which may suffer in accuracy..Just a thought..
Mick..

Posts: 25 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Any time you change any component you should re-work your loads. Period...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote