New
Find
Notify
Tools

aneal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
some time ago i redid a mini 14into an accurate 6x45. lately i've been having trouble with split necks, etc. even some cases blown in half just below and above the shoulder lesson learned - anneal even if it's just a simple neck up

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch:

Let's take a step back and a deep breath so that the Guy's can follow. *( Me too )!

First the Mini 14:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Mini-14

Next the 6x45:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6%C3%9745mm

When you say that you "re-did" are you saying that you re-chambered from Mini 14 to 6X45 ?

The data that is missing in your post is all ballistic information. Bullet type, weight, powder type load grains, velocity, pressure.

It may be totally erroneous to conclude that annealing will cure your dilemma. You have more serious problems that we can only analyze with more and full disclosure.

You are among friends here ready and willing to help. I'm sure that the Guys will bury you with valuable information upon more data and request.

There are TOP experts here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loading information probably has nothing to do with the problem. Annealing will certainly
help neck problems particularly after necking up.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is what i would.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Proper annealing of neck and shoulder area will make brass last almost indefinitely if you anneal after each firing..I anneal about every 3rd firing on my 6x45...But annealing is tricky so use all the cautions and use Templaq and don't try to guess at the temp by color..

On regular cases I shoot them about 10 or so reloads and then just replace them as such brass as 30-06 is cheap, but 6x45 case require a good deal or prepreation so I anneal them, I haves one batch that has been reloaded 28 times so far and with max loads. I have found IMI 223 brass to be the best, with FC 223 a second best.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42149 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote