Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mica?
 Login/Join

posted
I bought a jar of this stuff years ago. It waqs advertised as a dry interior neck lubricant. When I have tried to use it, it was almost like there was no lubricant at all. I suppose I could mix it with vaseline and use a q-tip to swab the interior neck of the cartridge, but then we are back to messy wet lubricants. Anybody have any success with this stuff as interior neck lubricant (or for anything else, for that matter?)

Posts: 21 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Swapped mine out for Imperial's product -- looks like graphite. Still haven't used up the first little "can".

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...eck-lube-1-oz-powder

To answer the question, tried Midway's dry lube with lube station (basically small reservoir and several brushes of various caliber/size). The mica rapidly blackened from burned powder and I threw it out. Still use the brushes to scrub interior neck before Imperial "dip" of neck, tapping out excess and putting down on RCBS lube pad...

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plain Graphite (DRY) like you put in a door lock works great.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a product called "Motor Mica" for about 20 years without any problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fritz1255:
I bought a jar of this stuff years ago. It waqs advertised as a dry interior neck lubricant. When I have tried to use it, it was almost like there was no lubricant at all. I suppose I could mix it with vaseline and use a q-tip to swab the interior neck of the cartridge, but then we are back to messy wet lubricants. Anybody have any success with this stuff as interior neck lubricant (or for anything else, for that matter?)

Must be the same stuff I've got. Pure crap for reloading purposes. If and when I want to use a powdered lube, I use graphite.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the set up sold by Forster. A brush that sits on a small plastic tray and contains mica on the bottom. Just run a case up & down on one of the brushes & there is enough mica on it to "lube" the neck. I don't use any type of sizing lube on necks anymore. This works just fine.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
..... tried Midway's dry lube with lube station (basically small reservoir and several brushes of various caliber/size). The mica rapidly blackened from burned powder and I threw it out

Yup, same experience here.

Since there was no particular advantage to the white mica and it was turning black from the case soot anyway; I started adding regular graphite to the resevoir in the Forester/Lyman(?) three brush set. IMO grahite works much better than the mica.

I lube the cases with a pad and then give the inside of the case necks 5-6 swipes on the appropriate sized brush that'll have to be "coated" with the graphite from the resevoir every 15-20 cases or so.

Does a great job of reducing inside case neck chatter to virtually nill as the expander ball pulls through the case necks.

When the outside of the case necks get graphite on them I also wipe the outside of the case mouth with a towel before they go into the Die. If not, you'll end with a build-up of goo (lube & graphite) that tends to build up inside the die just under the case neck/shoulder junction. Keeps you from having to clean your die (too often, anyway).

For the 1 rifle I Neck Size for only; a coupla swipes of the graphite-coated brush is all you need to keep things operating smoothly.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I add a little powdered graphite to the motor mica.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I am using Frakford Arsenal Mica and get results like above. Pulling the ball out is a chore, I have to push up so hard, it would turn the table over if I didn't have it bolted to the wall.

This can't be good.

I have disassembled the die, cleaned the ball and die, but it still acts like there is no lube at all in the neck. I am dipping each case neck into mica, tapping them on the side to remove excess, so it is just "dusted" with mica.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

I have also had the odd set or two of Dies that made pulling the case over the expander ball a Herculean effort; you'd think I was attempting to tear the edge of the bench off.

If it's only one Die set that gives you so much grief I'd reco polishing the expander ball, too.

I do this with every new set I purchase, which are almsot exclusively RCBS (of @ 50 Die sets only 1 is a Lyman).

A small piece of 1000 grade (very fine) sand paper with a drop or two of oil on it and 10 seconds in a hand drill really improves the smoothnesss.

I've got the expander ball pull on mine with the graphite & polish down to a almost nothing - makes re-sizing a joy.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have been useing powdered graphite for 35+ years.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
A small piece of 1000 grade (very fine) sand paper with a drop or two of oil on it and 10 seconds in a hand drill really improves the smoothnesss.

I've got the expander ball pull on mine with the graphite & polish down to a almost nothing - makes re-sizing a joy.

Great idea. I'll try that.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote