New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mic Trimmer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just got in a new case trimmer-Sinclair/Wilson Micrometer Trimmer. Got a couple of trimmer holders as well. As tryouts goes this tool is pretty sweet so far.
Got to wondering as it is abit late in the day if Sinclair or Wilson will do a particular order? Would like to get a holder for the 9.3 x 64 - any of you ever contacted them and asked for a cartridge that they don't list to make? just wondering.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well for who is interested, Cory over Sinclair mentioned perhaps Wilson does. Will have to await a day for Wilson to get back to Sinclair to see what the deal is on a special order. Sounds possible. Again this trimmer is pretty well thought out.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is a really well made unit.
I went to an RCBS Power Trimmer set up because of the volume I do in some calibers.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about your caliber but the Wilson trimmer is a very nice tool. Glad that I got mine.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at that wilson case trimmer. How does that thing work?

You have to clamp the shell holder(looks like a socket) to the base? Do you need a different shell holder for each caliber and what keeps the case from spinning when you trim?

Hard to tell how it works

My rcbs has always been misalined . The pilot rides hard on one side of the neck inside. Thinking about a new trimmer with a elec motor

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizz, I've called Wilson direct and they have made several custom holders for me. They will do one for you if you want, and their pricing was very reasonable.

GSP7, the case goes into the cylindrical holder, which hold the case by friction, you tap it into the case holder, then the case holder with the case inserted into it, goes onto a set of rails, which center up the case mouth with the cutter. The case holder is held to the rails by a small clamping lever, which keeps the case/holder from jumping around as you trim or chamfer the case with the cutting heads. With the micrometer attachment, dialing in a specific trim length is a breeze, and highly accurate. A very accurate, high quality trimmer setup, for high volumes it's a bit slow, I love mine, but am considering a power operated Giraud, for the cartridges I load a bunch of.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
I was looking at that wilson case trimmer. How does that thing work?

You have to clamp the shell holder(looks like a socket) to the base? Do you need a different shell holder for each caliber and what keeps the case from spinning when you trim?

Hard to tell how it works

My rcbs has always been misalined . The pilot rides hard on one side of the neck inside. Thinking about a new trimmer with a elec motor

The case holder is like a resize die and you put the case in a give it a gentle tap and it stays secure while trimming. That clamp does not add much pressure to the holder and you just move it on and off with a finger. It is real easy, very accurate and much faster than you think. Takes about a minute or two to get your mind and fingers working properly and then everything gets quick and easy. You do need a case holder for each caliber. If you upgrade to it you will not ever need another one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grizz, I've called Wilson direct and they have made several custom holders for me. They will do one for you if you want, and their pricing was very reasonable.

thanks, came across that today with one of their cust. serv. people. yes, this is a pretty neat and nifty trimmer, easy to set in increments and trim--my kind of tool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If sinclair doesn't have it contact Wilson direct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
as mentioned I am impressed! my RCBS does not cut perfectly and gets abit frustrating to use. So this will resolve my greivancesSmiler

My little world was peaceful and content until I got Sinclairs catalog along with the Mic Trimmer. Now I want an arbor press and dies for my .30-338 and.........darn xmas is gone!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sinclair has a lot of neat stuff and the customer service is great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the mic. part of the trimmer appeals to you, go to ebay and pick up a mic. head for 5 to 15 bucks and ream out the center of the jig that holds the threaded piece to dia. of the mic. [more than likely 1/2 in.] drill and tap a set screw hole to hold the mic. and for 10 or 15 bucks you get a mic. adjustable Wilson trimmer.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote