New
Find
Notify
Tools

primer pocket
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
WILL A MAG PRIMER ENLARGE A NON MAG CASE PRIMER POCKET?

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
WILL A MAG PRIMER ENLARGE A NON MAG CASE PRIMER POCKET?

NO! They are both the same diameter! What will enlarge a primer pocket is excessive pressure! And this can happen regardless of the kind of primer you are using.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No;but remember that Federal(largest diameter),CCI(medium) and WLRM(SMALLEST)...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I heard that was the reason for the belt around a mag case, like the 300 win mag and 7-mm rem. mag because of the extra pressure in the bottom end, in a primer pocket. i'm talking primer pockrt only

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, the belt serves only to provide a means of head space. The savvy reloader adjusts his size die to allow for head space in a conventional manner, from the shoulder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some years ago a friend of mine made a long range PD cartridge by necking down a 7mm Mag case to 6mm, blowing it out to a 35 degree shoulder and, turning the belt off. The cases without the belts developed loose primer pockets after 3 firings. He went back and cut the belt in the chamber, made some new brass, with belts, and the loose primer pockets were no longer a problem.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote