Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rcbs press decision i know i'm dumb but
 Login/Join

posted
If i can get a Rockchucker supreme master kit (everything except dies) and a RCBS Turret Press master kit (everything but dies) for only $2.50 more, why wouldn't i get the Turret???

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
For no real reason, I've never been attracted to the turrets. I figure if I'm headed in that direction, I might as well go ahead and get a full-blown progressive. What can I say, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool single-stage guy. They've always suited my needs/desires.

It's a gut thing, really. I suggest you go with yours. If the turret gives you that "Oooo-weee!" feeling, get it. If it's the single-stage, get it, instead.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought my first reloading setup and had the same question. I went with a single stage and use the Hornady lock and load bushings so it is as handy as a turret at least I think so,,

I prefer the simplicity of the single stage

I went with a lee classic cast and it is one nice press,,,I tried a rockchucker at a store and like the lee better.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Basically it boils down to "guts".

If you are going to load run-of-the-mill cartridges (.38 Special (and other pistol cartridges) or .223 Remington (and like cartridges) then the turret press is what you want.

If, however, you are going to be doing the BIG cartridges (.50 BMG, etc.), swaging bullets, reforming radical wildcat cases, then the Rock Chucker Supreme is the way to go.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I have an old Lyman turret, and to get the slop/looseness out of the head I had to torque down the nut that holds it on, basically making it a single stage. I just can't recommend them for rifle calibers, as the inherent slop was too hard for me to control....YMMV. It works fine for pistol loading, but the time savings is less than a minute during die changes, whoopeeeee....

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS Turret press and I'm glad I bought it. The big advantage to me is that during the course of reloading if problem comes up, such as you note a hairline split in the case, you can put in a new die to decap, size or whatever, without having to disturb the die you are using. This saves time since you don't remove and have to readjust the dies. I load 300 RUM cartridges where are pretty big with my turret press.

I don't note any slop in my RCBS turret press and I'm getting excellent accuracy with my reloads in my hunting rifles.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I use a Rockchucker for my rifle cartridges I use a Dillon 550 for my revolver cartridges. When I load for the rifle I weigh every charge to squeeze out all of the accuracy I can get I like the way the Rockchucker seats the bullets. Some of my cartridges I load with Wilson bench-rest dies. The progressive presses are great for revolvers but I just don�t care to use them for rifles. It is all a mater of personnel taste IMHO.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I've been using the new Lee Cast Press for a few months now and think it is more solid and bigger than any of the RCBS presses.

It also loads 50BMG right out of the box with no adaptors.

By the way.... my progressive is a Dillon XL650. Forget turrets.. They're worthless.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've been using the new Lee Cast Press for a few months now and think it is more solid and bigger than any of the RCBS presses.

It also loads 50BMG right out of the box with no adaptors.

By the way.... my progressive is a Dillon XL650. Forget turrets.. They're worthless.

$bob$

You should try a 550 I have 2 of them they work great. My friend has a 650 and it is a pain in the ass to use and setup he tried to sell it to me and I told him I wouldn't have it. I agree with you I think the 650's are a piece of junk. The 550 are much better and easier to use IMHO.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have many years' experience with both single-station and turret presses, and see no disadvantage to the turret design at all, unless perhaps if one were to do a lot of bullet swaging or radical case forming. Then perhaps the stronger single-station design would prove to be a better choce. But for plain old reloading, no!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The turret has an INCH or so shorter throat, and you won't be able to do the large overall rounds AS EASY in them

jeffe
(who upgraded to the supreme about a month ofter it was out>

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote