New
Find
Notify
Tools

WOW has Sierra changed!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Only a couple of times over the years have I had questions for their Folks on their bullets. Answers were professional.
Everyone is out of stock on 250 gr 375 Game Kings. Emailed em about a estimated production date. I might want to save the ones I have and shoot something different. Their answer was basically, don't know, don't care! The person I emailed said he does not communicate with the production side and they do not communicate with him! Again WOW!

Posts: 752 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
That's nuts.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I used to go past their seconds shop at the side of the plant and buy them by the pound. I will still try them one day as I'm going south in Missouri. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
who was it that bought them again?

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I would email Pat Daly tell him your experience. You might be surprised.

Don't know his exact email but try

pat.daly@sierrabullets.com

pat_daly@sierrabullets.com

pdaly@sierrabullets.com

patd@sierrabullets.com

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I toured the factory last December.

Awesome!!!

Extremely professional

I'd bet you just about anything they only run the bullets you need one time per year or so.

During our trip we were introduced to a ton of 20 to 30 year employees

The GM was even a near 30 year guy!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I would email Pat Daly tell him your experience. You might be surprised.

Don't know his exact email but try

pat.daly@sierrabullets.com

pat_daly@sierrabullets.com

pdaly@sierrabullets.com

patd@sierrabullets.com

It’s pat@sierrabullets.com

Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I called their customer support line on Monday and the gentleman I spoke to was very professional and courteous....and knew the product line well.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
who was it that bought them again?

Probably outsourced to the “Chi-Com’s”! Big Grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks Baxter

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a tour of the Sierra factory about 5 years ago. I was the entire group taken on the tour. Wonderful tour. The advertised 40 minute tour lasted almost twice as long. Was the second shift of the day, and the cheerfulness of the staff was impressive. That day most of the production was for making 223 bullets. The guide answered almost all of my questions well [sometimes his answer was "that's 'need-to-know' information and you don't need to know"]. Saw many examples of their quality control. A machine operator allowed me to check the wall thickness on a 223 jacket using a dial indicator and it met their specifications. The ladies inspecting the 30 caliber 165 gr Match King bullets individually made sure I understood their process.

I was very impressed.

At the end of the tour the tech took me down to see their underground shooting range [ 300 yards?] with all its electronics, state of the art reloading equipment, and barreled actions. And the old bicycle they use to ride down to the target end of the tunnel.

Was the best tour of a production facility I have taken

Later I went to the factory second store and purchased some 7mm bullets. For my money I got a really good count.

Now I use Sierra bullets when I reload 7 x 57, 223, and 30-06 cartridges. For advice on the 30-06 a tech sent me a nice email with suitable information. In my experience the Sierra bullets work really well for me.

I hope the new owners of Sierra mess things up by changing their production processes.

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that last sentence should read: I hope the new owners of Sierra DONT mess things up by changing their production processes.

I promise to practice my typing skills.

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCflash:
that last sentence should read: I hope the new owners of Sierra DONT mess things up by changing their production processes.

I promise to practice my typing skills.

Who are the "new owners" ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCflash:
Had a tour of the Sierra factory about 5 years ago. I was the entire group taken on the tour. Wonderful tour. The advertised 40 minute tour lasted almost twice as long. Was the second shift of the day, and the cheerfulness of the staff was impressive. That day most of the production was for making 223 bullets. The guide answered almost all of my questions well [sometimes his answer was "that's 'need-to-know' information and you don't need to know"]. Saw many examples of their quality control. A machine operator allowed me to check the wall thickness on a 223 jacket using a dial indicator and it met their specifications. The ladies inspecting the 30 caliber 165 gr Match King bullets individually made sure I understood their process.

I was very impressed.

At the end of the tour the tech took me down to see their underground shooting range [ 300 yards?] with all its electronics, state of the art reloading equipment, and barreled actions. And the old bicycle they use to ride down to the target end of the tunnel.

Was the best tour of a production facility I have taken

Later I went to the factory second store and purchased some 7mm bullets. For my money I got a really good count.

Now I use Sierra bullets when I reload 7 x 57, 223, and 30-06 cartridges. For advice on the 30-06 a tech sent me a nice email with suitable information. In my experience the Sierra bullets work really well for me.

I hope the new owners of Sierra mess things up by changing their production processes.

The new computerised targeting system and Doppler Radar eliminates the bicycle or the need to use targets..... 1/4 of a million test fires per year

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got an email for Mr. Pat Daly. The professional answer I needed. They should do a run end of February. Plenty of time for me!

Posts: 752 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Sierra bullets for deer and antelope and the 250 and 300 gr. boat tails for the .375 are outstanding even on cape buffalo. The do not penetrate like a tougher or premium bullet and give two holes but they do rest on the off side skin in a big time mushroom..That aint all that bad as its the reason they tear up so much inside stuff...its an option..I like two holes, but its not critical to me..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun business is what changed....

Has Sierra done a new loading book in the past 5yrs? Probably not... Their latest book came out about 15yrs ago; and covered few to none of the, then new, cartridges. For sure, they covered NONE of the then new powders.

What do I know about how they run their business, but... their manual is full of a lot of old crap for junker rifles the WW2 vets were sporterizing in the 50s. Who the hell shoots a Carcano? or Mannlicher-Schoenaur loads?

Their "experts" don't even have data for new ctgs if you call-in and ask. Most powders developed since the late 90s aren't in there and they don't give a damn.

Berger and even Nosler have taken the vanguard of bullet and loading from Sierra because Sierra don't care...

I've been shooting their bullets since 1967, as a kid using a Lee Loader. They were a shining light to accuracy buffs; in their time. Mostly they make the same old, same old though. Added some cannelure jobs and tipped the SMK... They sell most of their production to the military. Up to their nose in silver and don't care about the gold...

Their price increases on consumer products really make buying their stuff something only True Believers might continue to do. Nosler is 10x more the bullet company than they ever were these days.

Can buy Berger or custom made bullets for about what Sierra runs now. Noslers just so much more value. After all, most people are just shooting into the dirt at their local range.

If you look at the publication dates on previous books; they were released about every 7yrs. Doesn't look like they'll ever do another one to me...

Half the powder mfrs have been sold since the latest book came out. Tons of new powders, mostly more popular for good reasons. Not gonna find Sierra giving a damn about it.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I haven't had the need for a physical manual in over a decade.

There are so many sources for cup and core info and given data is a guide anyway - if I were a bullet company a physical manual would be my lowest priority.

I get excellent phone support from Sierra and their bullets are priced vary competitively in my mind given they are boxes of 100.

I am always amazed at how many people on the internet are mind readers.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible for Sierra to develop new data for modern powders that could be downloaded and printed in a way that could be added to their No. V Manual? What would it take, both on their end and ours?

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
About a year ago I went to their website and printed load data for 6.5 Creedmore and punched holes in it and added it to my Sierra manual.
Looks just like regular pages.
Currently their website seems to be under reconstruction.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see a big huge Sierra loading manual and its set up to order additional pages of information and new calibers, seems like a heck of a good deal to me,,Have no idea how old it is but it sure had a hell of a lot of calibers included so I don't think its very old. I have a dozen or so books, but these little spiral note books for individual calibers that have all the other loading books information enclosed in them are the best thing since sliced white bread, its like buying 10 different loading books in one book for about $1.98...Grafs, Midway have them, Sportsman Whse and other handle them also...

A quick check with Midways shows these littlel books have gone up to $6.50 apiece..oh well its still the best deal out there. ONe book that refers to one caliber and gives all the reloading data in all the books, Horn, Sierra, Nosler, Speer, and on an on and wit all the different powders..Im going to complete my set soonest.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I see a big huge Sierra loading manual and its set up to order additional pages of information and new calibers, seems like a heck of a good deal to me,,Have no idea how old it is but it sure had a hell of a lot of calibers included so I don't think its very old. I have a dozen or so books, but these little spiral note books for individual calibers that have all the other loading books information enclosed in them are the best thing since sliced white bread, its like buying 10 different loading books in one book for about $1.98...Grafs, Midway have them, Sportsman Whse and other handle them also...

I don't remember if they didn't have the additional info I was interested in or if they just didn't have any, but I did check a few years back on Sierra with no luck.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I haven't had the need for a physical manual in over a decade.

There are so many sources for cup and core info and given data is a guide anyway - if I were a bullet company a physical manual would be my lowest priority.

I get excellent phone support from Sierra and their bullets are priced vary competitively in my mind given they are boxes of 100.

I am always amazed at how many people on the internet are mind readers.

Amazed at how many "smart" guys assemble their explosive formulations, aka 'handloads', without awareness of ALL The Variables.

So, I'm back to loading some ammo... The loading manuals I own are my most valuable tools. Looking at Sierra's current book, I was again chagrined to remember they Don't post their BC and SD #s with the loading data. Every other bullet maker lists SD & BC #s with their loads...

Also no reference to the case capacity; only Barnes and Lee #2 have anything on capacities, although Lee uses cubic centimeters for volume area rather than grains of water for capacity which is dumb. Also... want to update your Lee data with a ctg they ain't yet published? Be ready to ante up $4... What bullshit is that?

Nosler charges the same for their download manual and their hardcover. Maybe you save on shipping? Crikey..

So pathetic that these component firms call their formulations "recipes", like you're making a muffin, or a caserole.

Lots and lots of info can be gleaned from a decent loading manual. Too Bad Sierra hasn't kept up their book. Used to have ballistics tables, but used to be a rifle and handgun edition, so combining the two into one might please more general loading folk. The Speer book used to be a good one, but that goes back before they were acquired.

Loading variables are extremely complex. Getting your data from buddies or off of forums is a risk I won't take unless I can extrapolate from proven data and be sure of what I'm doing.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The links below are just a few that I use regularly.

And the need for a physical manual is what?

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

http://www.barnesbullets.com/load-data/

https://load-data.nosler.com/

http://www.alliantpowder.com/r...eList.aspx?gtypeid=2

https://www.nosler.com/bullets

https://www.sierrabullets.com/products/bullets/rifle/

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/#!/

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I visited Sierra sometime in the early 80's.

I think the man in charge was Buzzard at that time, cannot remember.

Great people then.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote