Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading A-Merc brass?????
 Login/Join

posted
I recently reloaded a bunch of .45 ACP plinkers and I was using a 230 grain lead round nose that somewhat consistantly measured out a .452" diameter.

Since I will generally use what ever once fired brass or nickel plated 'brass' I can find I processed a bunch of A-Merc brass as well.

However, even with a factory crimp applied to the round, I found that nearly all of the reloads using the A-Merc brass would not fully seat into battery in either my Colts or the Kimber which, in turn, jammed the action of the guns.

At very first I thought that the cast bullets had just enough diameter inconsistancies to create the problem but then I realized it was just with the A-Merc brass.

It may have been my imagination but it seemed that I could clearly see a marked difference of mouth bulge on the A-Merc when compared to other brands.

I searched the internet and found some sites that blamed A-Merc for being poor brass and quality and, generally accepted, that it isn't worth trying to reload.

I'm just passing this post along for information and imput from others regarding their experiences.

Any other bad brass out there (other than the obvious aluminum, steel, etc.)?

Posts: 12 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
A-Merc brass is junk...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A-MERC is the worst I've ever seen, off center primer hole, inconsistant wall thickness, it has it all. I won't even give it away, it gets a healthy pinch with pliers and goes to the recycle bucket.

Posts: 35 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Steve said! I toss any A-Merc brass that I find.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AMERC brass is absolute junk!

Tim

Posts: 149 | Location: Nebraska USA | Registered: 22 February 2002Reply With Quote