New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neck or partial FL size
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some once fired new factory brass that was shot in someone else's rifle. It was not reloaded. If it fit's in my chamber without sizing , would it be best to neck size or partial FL size it for fireforming it in my rifle? Yes, it's the same caliber..... Bob

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try to size it as much as possible in a FL die without bumping against the shoulder. I suppose you would call that partial full length sizing?

I've come to believe that neck sizing-only with a FL die or a conventional neck die is a bad idea because it may result in a neck cocked slightly in relation to the body of the case. When I neck size these days it is with a specialty die like the Lee Collet sizer or one of the newer neck dies from Redding or RCBS.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should fully resize them, then neck size after it has fire formed to the size of your chamber.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob jr:
I have some once fired new factory brass that was shot in someone else's rifle. It was not reloaded. If it fit's in my chamber without sizing , would it be best to neck size or partial FL size it for fireforming it in my rifle? Yes, it's the same caliber..... Bob

IF, and this is a BIG IF, it will chamber pretty easily in your rifle without resizing, then all you need do is resize enough of the neck to hold the new bullets. I use "one bullet diameter" as a guide to how much of the neck needs to be sized.

Generally, however, brass fired in a different rifle will NOT chamber easily in yours.

The less you work your brass, the longer it will last.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob, If your Full Length Die is already set-up to P-FLR for your rifle, P-FLR the cases and Fire Form them to fit your rifle. Then continue P-FLRing.

If your Full Length Die is "not" already set-up to P-FLR for your rifle, you need to get that done first. Then P-FLR the cases which were fired in the other rifle and Fire Form them to fit your rifle. Then continue P-FLRing.
-----

Run a Blind Test between some Cases which have been P-FLRed and some Neck Sized. Load 9-18 of each and shoot the ones from each Lot into an individual Target. If you are sure you Flinch one, go mark it and don't count it in the group. Have a buddy hand you the Cartridges so you do not know which ones you are shooting(the Blind portion).

Then you can decided for yourself which way works the best for you. I repeat that same Test every five years or so. The P-FLR always shoots just a bit smaller for me, but it might be just the opposite for you.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guy's...Thanks for all the useful information you shared with me. It's been helpful, and I apreciate it.
Bob

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote